BC Boards

time to see the vet (was: mental probs)

Marley

Well tonight was the first agility class and it was a disaster. I have never seen him so panic stricken, even during a thunder storm. Totally frozen up, shaking and wanting to hide behind everything. Wouldn't even catch his ball. Even ignored the piece of meatball from the instructor! Once he got back in the car, he was fine and would take food again.

The instructor wants me to still come back, but stay in an area outside of the main barn and see if I can get him at least settled down out there.

But she thought as well given this total change in behavior the past 3 months and how it is getting worse and worse that he should be checked. I hope its nothing worse than time for doggy prozac!

If there are no health issues: Do some reading and try to get a gradual, confidence-building social acceptance and slowly add more and more so that the dog will trust you to decide that this activity is really OK. There is a lack of trust in the world that you need to partner along into willingness to step out. Wish you lived nearby.

I'm bringing him to a nearby vet that also has a border collie Tuesday, no idea how long it normally takes to get whatever test results they do back.

Once I get those back and see where I stand I'll consider contacting a behaviorist as well. I think I'll need one too soon!

He did have a good time at the beach at lunch yesterday running around with a chocolate lab. He even ran into the water for the first time just about neck high. Thats when he turned to look at me with one of those 'what the heck did I just get myself into' looks. But he was fine and just ran back out after his ball.

In the mean time I'm going to try to keep taking him to new places to play or walk.