BC Boards

HD lineage

BigD

Being trying to find info on this - maybe someone knows the answer right off the bat -

What are the chances of a mildly dysplastic male dog from good or excellent hip lines passing on HD to his pups?

Not counting the females role in this at all.

I know you can get HD from excellant rated parents...does it go both ways? Or once you have HD, they will all get it?

Thanks,

Denise

Denise,

This is not exactly the info you're looking for but it's all I can come up with right now. I'll try to find something more specific for you.

Here are the compiled figures from five studies of various crosses resulting in data from 1,712 total progeny. It looks like most, if not all, of these dogs were German Shepherds, a breed with a high incidence of HD. A high carrier rate would be likely, hence the high incidence of HD even in the Normal times Normal crosses.

Normal X Normal = 74.6% Normal progeny (25.4% Dysplastic)

Normal X Dysplastic = 51.6% Normal progeny (48.4% Dysplastic)

Dysplastic X Dysplastic = 13.2% Normal (86.8% Dysplastic)

References:

Snaveley, J. G. 1959. Genetic Aspects of hip dysplasia in dogs. J. Am. Vet. Med. Ass. 135:201-7.

Bornfors, S., Palsson, K. and Skude, G. 1964. Hereditary aspects of hip dysplasia in German Shepherd Dogs. J. Am. Vet. Med. Ass. 145:15-20.

Riser, W.H., Cohen, D., Linguist, S., Mansson, J. and Cheb, S. 1964. Influence of early rapid growth and weight gain on hip dysplasia on the German Shepherd Dog. J. Am. Vet. Med. Ass. 145:661-8.

Kaman, C. H. and Gossling, H. R. 1967. A breeding program to reduce hip dysplasia in German Shepherd Dogs. J. Am. Vet. Med. Ass. 151:562-71.

Henricson, B., Norberg, I. and Olsson, S. E. 1966. On the aetiology and pathogenesis of hip dysplasia. J. small Anim. Pract. 7:673-88.

Denise