BC Boards

Vertical jumping

Does anybody have suggestions for getting my pup to jump vertically?  He'll jump any which way except straight up.  When playing frisbee and he sees it will be going over him, he'll stand and stretch out to try to grab it.  But that's not high enough and at that point jumping isn't possible.  Holding treats and toys directly above or putting them in a tall bush/tree hasn't worked. 

And an entertaining vid I recorded recently.  Doing a beagle impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjW4GeMTcQY

Just brainstorming here -- not sure if this would be what you were after....how about getting something like a ball on a rope, and attaching a longer rope to it.  Then throw that over a tree limb.  Then you can leverage the ball up and down in height.  Next, maybe smear some peanut butter on the ball and lower it to allow him access to it.  Then gradually raise it so he has to jump to get to the ball/peanut butter.  Reward would be to allow him to pull the ball down and play with it or eat the peanut butter.  Once again, never tried this, so I can't vouch for it. 

Building height is a gradual thing with some dogs.  Just keep throwing the Frisbee a tiny bit higher than he is comfortable reaching.  If he loves the game enough he will begin to stretch more and more to get it.  Also, teaching him the trick "beg" where he has to sit up on his haunches will strengthen his hind quarters; more strength, more likely to jump.   I also teach all my dogs to catch a ball close up.  When they catch it, I praise them like there's no tomorrow.  The extreme praise makes them want to try harder and so I make it more challenging and toss the ball higher.  They WILL try and jump to get it, but again do it in small increments to build his confidence.   After every successful catch, low or high, play a bit of a game with him so there is a fun payoff.  I would avoid using treats as a reward or he may only want to look for the food which will slow down or maybe even ruin everything you are trying to accomplish.

Edited to say:  Have patience with him and take your time, from what I see he is still quite young.