BC Boards

Early heat???

DEERWOODS

HI, I was hoping someone could help me out, I have a almost 7 month old BC bitch. She is still intact. I also have a almost 10 year old intact male. Friday they were fine together, I was away until this afternoon. When i came home My Male dog showed much interest in her, he normally doesn't give her the time of day :rolleyes: he even tried to mount her twice. She isn't swollen and she is very young. I know she can come into heat any time after 6 months. But I also thought males weren't interested in females until they were ready for breeding. I am definatly going to keep an eye on her, to see if she swells. anyone have any experience with this?? My male has been breed before. Thanks

Judy and the crew

Tia (GSD) the Queen

Brodie (BC) the Man

Bandit (BC) the real Man

Sony (BC) the baby

On a few occaisions I've had the same thing happen and within just a few days the female is usually showing the normal swelling/bleeding. Maybe some of the males just have good radar?

I have also noticed tha March seems to be the universal month for critters to cycle. Geez, everything that ain't spayed seems to come in heat during March, whether or not they were "scheduled" to. With horses the length of daylight hours stimulates them to start cycling again after going dormant all winter and I've wondered if there was something similar with dogs/cats.

Lydia

Thanks. He has seemed to let off and is back to ignoring her. Although I am still checking her. Yes I do wish to breed her, AFTER she is 2 and passes a LONG list of health clearences to my satisfaction. My Male is going on April 2nd to be collected and frozen for future use. he may do one more breeding this spring naturally and then is going to be neutered. The other thing that i thought of was this weekend an 11 month olddog also tried to mount her would my male smell this and try to be territorial? I am not ruling out UTI either

Thanks

Judy and the crew