BC Boards

Skywatcher

So our puppies are 6 months old now and still continue to amaze me. 

I have never had dogs that watched the sky before.  It was understandable when the flock of geese flew overhead, honking,  that they both looked up and watched them go by.  But my boy....he seems mesmerized with the sky.  The other morning when I let them out, I saw him standing in the middle of the yard gazing up, fixed on something.  Didn't see any birds, then I moved out to the middle of the yard to see what he was watching.  It was the moon!!  It was light outside, but the moon was visible and he seemed entranced.  Now I notice that when he goes out at night, he alerts to any planes going by, and tonight there was a very visible bright star/planet (not the north star, because this was south).  That got his attention and he just looks so alert and it's almost like I can see him thinking, "hmmm...now what is THAT???"  lol.  

So I am curious if anyone else has a skywatcher.  My girl will look up at birds, but does not seem as interested as he is with the sky. 

My previous female Border Collie, Cass, seemed to enjoy watching airplanes and large birds.  We lived on top of a hill and this area gives hot air balloon rides (a lot.)  One time one came out our way and had to "fire it up" to get above the treetops.  I could hear it doing that "PPPPSSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!" noise and Cass was frantically running about the fenced in yard, looking up at the very low hot air balloon with very visible people waving.  I yelled for Cass as she was running into everything in the yard and she came charging over to the safety of the porch.  She never got over that and would always check the sky as soon as she stepped outside.  Can't say I blame her.  I took her to see balloons take off and she just wasn't a fan.  My current female Border Collie, Ziva, likes to watch large birds (hawks, vultures, eagles) and my male, Logan, watches for floating leaves to grab.  I've never had one notice the moon!

So here are a couple pics from tonight with my phone;  hard to capture.  Don't know how well you will be able to see.  The black one is the sky and that bright star - and Parker standing there staring across the yard at it.  The other pic is him looking up at a plane, while Piper never looks up;  she is more concerned if there is a deer out in the yard. 

1224191801b (2).jpg

1224191758d (2).jpg

1224191745a (2).jpg

5 minutes ago, aschlemm said:

My previous female Border Collie, Cass, seemed to enjoy watching airplanes and large birds.  We lived on top of a hill and this area gives hot air balloon rides (a lot.)  One time one came out our way and had to "fire it up" to get above the treetops.  I could hear it doing that "PPPPSSSSSSSSHHHHH!!!!!!" noise and Cass was frantically running about the fenced in yard, looking up at the very low hot air balloon with very visible people waving.  I yelled for Cass as she was running into everything in the yard and she came charging over to the safety of the porch.  She never got over that and would always check the sky as soon as she stepped outside.  Can't say I blame her.  I took her to see balloons take off and she just wasn't a fan.  My current female Border Collie, Ziva, likes to watch large birds (hawks, vultures, eagles) and my male, Logan, watches for floating leaves to grab.  I've never had one notice the moon!

Sometimes we have one of those HUGE cargo planes fly over.  Doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.  They are scary to me;  they look like you can touch them even though they are further up than they appear.  I'm a little worried if they see that!!!  Sort of like your hot air balloon.