BC Boards

Thanksgiving

I have been doing a dog friendly Thanksgiving for about 4-5 years now(no onions, grapes, or raisins). I started it when I was stuck alone for the holidays. Some of these dogs has since passed away RIP Aslan, Conner, and Snickel the cat... but it’s so much fun to do. Some dog(Valek) helped themselves to the turkey while it was defrosting one year. Learn to NOT leave the turkey in the sinks. 

Do you do any fun holiday tradition with your Border Collie?

We did also offer the cats some turkey.

Dogs shown:

Roscoe the shepherd mix, Parker the terrier mix, and the Border Collies: Aslan, Clara, Eli, Conner, Valek, and Cressa

Snickel was the cat supervising 

B8839F08-8BFA-4898-A2BB-4D61EAE0C161.jpeg

FBA37D87-5D9D-4F80-81A3-AF4ACFA797E0.jpeg

877F4ED1-22C8-44DA-979E-0302908A96CF.jpeg

Our Thanksgivingdog tradition is to take all the bones and left-over turkey carcass and boil them in a huge pot.  After about 3 hours the stock is reduced the bones are strained out.  The semi-solid stock with bits of meat goes in the refrigerator.  For a week, we have enough to spoon generously over the dogs' kibble--their Thanksgiving meal lasts a lot longer than ours does.

I am always thankful for our wonderful dogs:  Buddy the 9 year old Aussie mix who loves me alone, and Levi the 2 year old BC who loves everybody.

One great thing about dogs is that every day seems to be Thanksgiving for them. Dogs show their gratitude with every wag of the tail, every grin they give you when on a walk or other adventure, every meal or treat or ride in the car.

I don't have anything specific I do at Thanksgiving for or with my dog. I am grateful every day for all the dogs who have shared their lives, their silly grins, and their wonderful loyalties with me.

Ruth & Gibbs

22 hours ago, urge to herd said:

One great thing about dogs is that every day seems to be Thanksgiving for them. Dogs show their gratitude with every wag of the tail, every grin they give you when on a walk or other adventure, every meal or treat or ride in the car.

This is one of my favorite things about dogs. Their acceptance of what is in the moment, their ability to take great joy in small things, their lack of pretense. My dogs are and have been the greatest teachers in my life and my most loyal and steadfast companions. I  strive always to be more like them, and I couldn't live without them.