BC Boards

Early Spay/Nueter - UC Cal Davis

Journey

• 1 year later...

I found this a little shocking.  My vets have always pushed a strong narrative of spay and neuter as a disease deterrent.  I now have two five month old puppies (one male and one female).  My vet is obsessed with getting them fixed ASAP.  I'm all for getting them fixed too but generally against getting them fixed too soon.  How soon is too soon?  I have read that, particularly in males, they should keep their equipment for at least a year.  A heat in this house would be pandemonium so I would like to avoid that.  My puppies' Mom's first heat was well past the one-year mark.  Advice anyone?

Any advice on alternatives to the cone for keeping surgical sites away from teeth?

For a fairly balanced discussion of this topic, go to Moose Nuggets.  People who are concerned about health effects of early neutering usually recommend waiting until 1.5 or 2 years old so that the bone growth plates have closed.

There are alternatives to castration and ovariohysterectomy:  vasectomy and tubal ligation.  But I've never found a vet who could do either.

Too soon imo would be ever. ..that said your best option would be to wait until they're both at least 24 months. Once you remove something you cannot put it back.  Also, there are far better options for surgery these days as well. Ovarian spay for your female and maybe leave your male intact? Lots to think about..and with that surgery you shouldn't even need a cone of shame.