BC Boards

What’s best when getting a new pup: Male/male or male/female?

Hi guys, 

We have a 2 year old male BC and are looking into getting another pup. We’re lost as to whether a boy/boy or boy/girl mix is best? Breeders seem to be saying both, and I just want to make the best decision for our little guy. 

Thanks in advance for your insights and experience in this area. 

Bec :)

EE3861A8-B1E6-4235-BF3D-359C55122BD2.jpeg

I think it depends on your boy. Does he get along better with other boys or girls or both?

My boys get along with any dog regardless of gender but my girl doesn’t like other females. Lol Why I have 2 boys and a girl.

Agree with 'it depends on your dogs'. How does your current dog interact with each gender? But this may be a moot point because you will be bringing in a puppy, and the two should become well acquainted  before gender issues would develop (if they ever do).

Future Neutering may also change the dynamics.

Post puppy pics when you get the little rugrat!

Thanks guys. Our jasper is desexed and he’s not an aggressive dog, he’s more so soft and reserved when he sees other dogs on our walks. When he sees my mother in laws dog (who is older and female), he is curious and friendly but also knows that she’s the boss. So I think he’ll be ok, I think we’re leaning toward a female pup and fingers crossed it all works out!! 

We have boys, my husband and I prefer boy dogs, so that is what we have. Its just a weird personal preference based on all the foster border collies we have had the only ones we have wanted to keep have been the boys. I currently have two intact males, the youngest came as a puppy and there has never been any problems between them.