BC Boards

Anxiety Issues

Our 6 year old border absolutely loves being outside, or at least did up until a month or so ago.  LIke it was the first thing he did after being let out of his kennel and would stay out until we went to be at night.  Quick backstory....our other dog, a Newfie would occasionally get a hold of one of our chickens.  Our border, Jet, would quickly run to the door and let himself inside as a way to alert us (or so we thought).  About a month ago, we had a rooster in our mix that was learning to crow and the sound terrified Jet and he quickly runs to the door and will let himself inside eventually.  Now he won't even go outside until it's completely dark and he knows the rooster is in for the night.

About two weeks go our Newfie passed away and now our border is a wreck.  Won't go out, whines and barks early in the morning from his kennel, and obviously has some anxiety associated with this new rooster. Not sure what to do, but it's a problem and seems to be getting worse.  

I am not surprised that he doesn't want to spend the whole day outside all by himself! I would suggest taking him for walks. Go out the front door with him on a leash, and take him for a nice walk away from the house every day and then let him be inside if he wants to.

In my opinion, all dogs need to go for walks away from home even if they have a nice big yard, to give them new things to see and smell. I think your dog simply doesn't want to be outside all the time any more, especially now that he no longer has a companion.  I personally don't think people should leave their dogs out all the time. Border collies in particular really need human interaction, and leaving them outside all the time without people being with them is not good for them, nor is it nice to the dog.

Let him be inside with you and interact with him more. Teach him things, play with him, hang out with him and let him be with you during the day when you are home. You may find that if he gets more attention this anxiety will pass.