BC Boards

Capturing a Trick

For those who enjoy training your Border Collie tricks. How do you capture rear feet tricks? Half the time I can’t even see what the rear feet are doing.

Val knows “front paws” which means puts your front paws on an object.

He also knows “all four” which means I want all four paws on the same object.

I would liked to train a “back paws” but have issues seeing what his back paws are doing to even capture or even free shape anything. 

Any suggestions?

8ED7D1FF-7860-41E9-ABF8-DD2D01174A3F.jpeg

I stand at the dog's side when I'm training a back feet trick. That way I can actually see what the back feet are doing and can capture it correctly. I just taught my puppy how to put her back paws on a book by teaching her to take a step backwards when I'm standing at her side and then just putting the book behind her so she steps backwards onto it.

Once she gets better at it I'm going to start getting her to do it when I'm standing in front of her. 

People in my Freestyle club use a mirror to see what the back paws are doing, and the same for teaching the dog to work behind our backs.  We also have practiced with each other -- one person stands behind the handler and does the click when the dog is in the right position, then the handler gives the treat.

One thing that really helps is to teach the dog the different places to be: in front, at each side, and behind. These are taught as specific behaviors that get rewarded. If the dog knows a move, and knows the position cue,  you can cue the dog into position, and then give the cue for the specific move.