BC Boards

Note to self ~ check paws for foxtails more frequently than once every few months

Gibbs has had a limp for a long time, maybe 18  months. Had an MRI done, showed some problems with both knees, left one much more than the right one. Decided, given cost, lengthy recovery  and Gibbs' age at the time not to do surgery, but simply  medicate him. That helped a lot, and I got used to adding meds to his a.m. & p.m. meals. He still limped noticeably, but less.

A few days ago I decided to check  his paws for foxtails, since it's that season here. Lo and behold, there is a foxtail  in his left rear paw. It's bloody ~ some fresh blood and a lot of blackened blood. It has to have been there a while. Got the foxtail out, lo and behold for the second time, he doesn't have a limp anymore. At some point, he picked up the foxtail while his knees were still painful. Then his knees got all better, but I couldn't tell because he had picked up the foxtail. 

No meds since Wednesday, no limp since Thursday morning. It's a miracle, I tell you. Since he's not taking gabapentin  anymore, which has a sedating effect, he's full of himself and wants to PLAY! and TRAIN! and go for MUCH LONGER WALKS!

All in all, I'm happy to have  him back, lively and with that wonderful zest for life! 

Ruth & a busier, more sparkley Gibbs

Ouchie! It is so hard that they cannot tell us why and where they hurt.  That would make life so much easier.

But I do agree that foxtails are horrible.  I usually have to clean paws every time my boys come inside, so I end up checking paws daily almost without thinking.