BC Boards

CBD Dog Treats

highway61

Anyone else using it? It comes in a multitude of forms from oils to hard/soft chews.

I have a re-active BC that I give it to in hope it helps him "take the night off" as we've had thunderstorms recently. My other dog is 14 yrs old so he gets it to alleviate any pain he might have. So far I haven't observed any noticable difference in their behaviour or demeaner. 

image.png.6f8ebe16430370b2d04231d93fc11cdc.png

I'll be starting both my dogs on CBD oil as soon as I pick some up.

In my research I've been seeing a lot of references saying that the edibles often aren't as effective as the straight oil/tinctures. The edibles go through the digestive system and may be destroyed in the process whereas the oil/tincture is ideally delivered under the tongue and absorbed bypassing digestion.

It's not clear from the product picture you posted that there's even any CBD oil in it. CBD tincture is extracted from hemp seeds, essentially as a way to compound that particular component of it. Hemp seed oil is the whole seed oil and is often sold as a healthy oil supplement, high in Omega 3s and alpha-linoleic acid, good fats that are helpful for skin and coat.

From the information pictured above I'd guess the hemp oil is added for that reason and not actually high in CBD -- probably a bit of misleading advertising. Melatonin, chamomile and thiamine are all ingredients that can ease stress in some ppl and dogs, though they're not effective for all. That it says nothing about its being for pain reduction suggests again to me that it's not CBD oil and is probably useless in that regard for your arthritic dog.

If you want to try CBD oil, I'd suggest doing a little research on what's available as quality and effectiveness vary widely. Extraction methods are important.

19 minutes ago, GentleLake said:

It's not clear from the product picture you posted that there's even any CBD oil in it. CBD tincture is extracted from hemp seeds, essentially as a way to compound that particular component of it. Hemp seed oil is the whole seed oil and is often sold as a healthy oil supplement, high in Omega 3s and alpha-linoleic acid, good fats that are helpful for skin and coat.

Gentlelake, love ya but you just have to suck the life out of everything at the slightest notion of an inaccuracy, don’t you? I respect your commitment to the truth but it's all good :D

image.png.337be114445a2b2abe0e3d5f4a0b5491.png

• 2 weeks later...

Gentle Lake is correct in saying there's no evidence that those treats have CBD in them. 

First, if there actually were CBD in the ingredients it would say CBD on the label. Hemp is not the same thing as CBD.

CBD is derived from certain strains of hemp. To say that hemp has CBD in it would be like saying that barley has bourbon in it.

Second, there is little evidence that CBD actually works consistently. some people say it does something for them but the research shows that unless it is combined with THC it is very unpredictable. Things that have CBD in them cost a lot of money and personally I have not wanted to pay so much money for something that has such haphazard results. My guess is that the treats you show there are all hype and won't do much for an anxious dog, but of course you never know without trying it, so try it if you like.

Sorry I have to agree with Gentle Lake there is no CBD oil in there. As you commented that you haven't seen any change in behavior maybe try a real CBD oil. From everything I have read about CBD it is suggested to use the oil directly and not buy the treats as you have no idea what you are getting.

I have used CBD oils on my thunder/fireworks phobia dog... it seems to help him in conjunction with his Xanax. If he gets it before the sky starts growling/exploding I can give him less Xanax.

It doesn’t help him as a stand-alone. However it did seem to take the edge off other lesser things that can worry him or he notices (rumble strips, nail trimming, etc) but maybe I could have seen better effects if I used daily instead of just as needed. 

it does help calm my terrier down when he is put in a position where it is easy to lose his head. (Not stress just over his excitement threshold)

I have tried to use

melatonin which had 0 effect on my thunder/fireworks phobia dog. Help settle my terrier down when he gets super excited.

Camomile didn’t seem to effect his phobia either.

L Trytophan I’m not sure how effective it is in dogs. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chirp in on that one. It didn’t seem to help my dog.

I liked the composure(sp?) treats. They seem to help a little but again he needed it in conjunction to an actual calming med. My dog also kept tracking down and eating the whole bag of calming treats... so I haven’t gotten them for a bit. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

One of my customers has 2 ancient hunting dogs with many health issues.  He gives both of them a few drops of Hemp Oil every day.  He swears it helps. 

I bought a bottle of American Shaman CBD oil for my older dog that has arthritis and noise problems.  I couldn't tell that it made any difference at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good info for anyone interested in CBD oil. Kinda quirky approach, but lots of good info about how to choose the right type of CBD oil, dosages, etc.

Note: Although alluded to but not specifically mentioned in this video, CBD oil and medical marijuana are not interchangeable products.

FYI: I was incorrect in my earlier statement that there's no THC in CBD oil. According to this source, there's 0.3% THC in hemp based CBD oil and it's necessary to make it work effectively, that it will not have a psychoactive effect on your pet.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW, melatonin works pretty well to take the edge off in the evenings.

For my epileptic border collie, I had my holistic veterinarian precribe a tablet form of CBD oil that paired with melatonin worked very well on those nights after a seizure when otherwise nobody in the house would get any sleep.