BC Boards

Chasing cars

Hi

We have a new border collie puppy (actually two) that are 12 weeks old.  One has just noticed cars that go by on the road from the play yard (which sits about 50 feet away from the road - so it is not up against the road), and has started to run the fence to "chase" them.  Knowing this is not a desirable response, and wanting to correct is asap, would love recommendations on how others would correct this. 

Thank you for any input. :)

Congrats on your new pups. Photos, please. :-))

I don't have any magic solution,  except for what you may know already - the book Click to Calm, do you have a yard that is farther away from cars or not with direct sight of cars?, block view of cars from front yard (tarp or opaque plastic on fencing until chasing is resolved), minimal exposure to cars until you have his focus more consistently, etc. Basically a two-pronged approach: work on his focus staying on you (treats, toys, games) and minimal or distant exposure to cars while he is maturing and learning to focus on you.

I suggest you don't leave him out in that yard at all unless he is supervised.  If you leave him out on his own he will be self-rewarding every time he sees a car and chases it up and down the fence, and the more times he does that the harder it will be to train him out of the behavior. Border collies are obsessive dogs and if you don't take it seriously and nip this in the bud it could and probably will become a lifelong addiction that you don't want.

When he starts to chase the cars, distract him with a toy or game or treats. If he doesn't stop doesn't take to the distraction and goes back to the chasing, , take him inside immediately and pop him into his crate for 5 minutes. He will learn that if he behaves like that he has to go inside and the fun stops.

I agree with D'Elle. Never allow him in the yard without someone who's prepared to intervene the instant he shows the slightest interest in a car. That means not just having someone in the yard with him, but someone having constant attention on him so doesn't get the chance for self-rewarding ever again. Not even once. Each time he gets to self reward significantly erodes any progress you might have made.

Thank you!  All excellent points that I am sure I can incorporate.  I did try searching for past posts, but most seemed to deal with older
puppies or dogs;  some that were more aggressive and others that were afraid.  I knew I needed to get on this immediately.  They are never out
in that yard (or any yard) unsupervised at this age.  My place is on 2 fenced acres, but I also have two fenced enclosures (one off the house
for pottying -- which is where this is taking place) and the other further from the house and road which is a play yard.) At this age, they
do NOT have full run of the 2 acres (except when on leash for walks)-- only the two yards and only when supervised.

Here are their pics;  they are Piper (white - girl) and Parker (red -boy)....and they are soooo much FUN!!!

0823191920b (2).jpg

0901191656a_Burst01 (2).jpg

0904191402b (2).jpg