BC Boards

Puppy Prices?

It's been a very long time since I've bought a border collie. For the past 16 years my dogs have been rescues.

Not having a lot of success finding a rescue I've started to investigate other avenues for finding a dog who can continue to do pet therapy work with me. I called some folks who a couple days ago advertised border collie puppies in the local newspaper.

It turns out they're not terribly local, an hour away. They have 2 pups from an April 23rd whelping and 7 from an accidental litter whelped on May 17th. They directed me to the FB page where there are pics of at least 6 adult Labs, 6 adult border collies, 2 adult goldens and an adult JRT along with a couple photos of a stall (they also train horses) full of both border collie and Lab puppies.

ABCA registered but none of the border collies in 4 generations have worked more than to go out in the pasture and bring the horses in. A couple pups have gone to dairy farmers whose dogs bring the cows back to the barn for milking (we all know how hard that is :blink:). The BC great grandfather was imported from Wales and had "DNA testing he needed to be imported." (Is there any such requirement?) Otherwise there've been no health checks of any kind, though they state that there haven't been any health problems in any of their dogs.

They're asking $1000 for these 18 and 15 week old pups that they haven't been able to sell.

Is this what people are getting for border collie puppies these days?

And before anyone asks, no, I'm not going to buy one of them. :rolleyes:

Erm, that is an insanely a high amount of money for those puppies, regardless of breed.

Actually working dogs bred and producing puppies I might expect 800 local to me.  What amounts to purebred by BYB puppies?  Well, I know people selling them for 1800 but I sure ain't buying :P If I want to spend that I want health testing and PARENTS to be proven in SOMETHING (not just assuming BC here, but any breed).

That is super high for what they’re selling. If I’m paying that much for a dog I want health testing done and good working ability proven. 

I paid $800 for each of mine. Border Collie DNA health panel/hip checked parents and the pups were  BAER tested. Kolt’s parents were both nice farm dogs but it was a repeat litter and the older ones had turned out super nice. Tess’s mom is the same but dad is open level USBCHA (just out of the bubble for finals this year).

Last year, purchased female pup for $800 from Washington state. Both parents: ABCA registered, ran in Open USBCHA trials, hips checked, genetic testing.

5 years ago, purchased male pup from Massachusetts. Both parents: hips checked, some genetic testing. Dam - Open ABCA trial dog. Sire: ISDS registered. International champion. Puppies were BAER tested.

10 hours ago, gcv-border said:

Last year, purchased female pup for $800 from Washington state. Both parents: ABCA registered, ran in Open USBCHA trials, hips checked, genetic testing.

5 years ago, purchased male pup from Massachusetts. Both parents: hips checked, some genetic testing. Dam - Open ABCA trial dog. Sire: ISDS registered. International champion. Puppies were BAER tested.

I need to make you help me find my next dog :P

MANY YEARS FROM NOW. 

The price of the pup is as valuable as the person is willing to part. 

Hopefully if a person has $1000 for the border collie pup they will be able to afford training,  and are there for the life of the pup.

1 hour ago, D'Elle said:

I'm going to try to keep this in mind, gvc. I will be in the market for another dog one of these days.....

:-)

LOL. I wish I could buy/adopt/rescue all the dogs, all the time. I do a lot of window shopping (i.e. drool over puppy pics on FB).

Purebred puppies in my area tend to run about $600. A quick check of local border collie kennels shows they are charging $600-700 for pups that are ABCA registered and parents who are registered + hips checked + dna testing. The kennels near me are all working dog kennels but I know of one kennel not too far away that breeds AKC show border collies and they charge $2000+ for pups. I don’t understand how but they have a waiting list for their dogs so someone is buying at those prices! I’m not sure who though!:rolleyes:

On 9/7/2019 at 10:11 AM, gcv-border said:

Dang. Yes. Love shopping for dogs, yarn, hardware/lumber. Clothes - yech, only when everything is in rags.

WOOHOO!

I have a pretty impressive yarn collection, but I will definitely take the help with the puppy shopping when it's time! a

(With you on the hate of clothes shopping, too)

I would loathe clothes shopping also, because I don't like shopping in general, but I buy almost all of my clothes in thrift stores and for me that makes it completely different. It is more like a treasure hunt. I recommend it. :) 

I have not been into a retail clothing store or section of a store in many years. The only things I buy new are foot wear and hiking/camping specific clothing, although I find some of that at thrift stores as well. Have even on  occasion found a brand new pair of boots or shoes that fit me, but that is pretty rare.