BC Boards

Leaving dog outside - entertainment ideas, potential concerns

Two quick questions:

1) Every dog I've ever had will go outside, run around and sniff, then come in. My current dog - my first border mix - seems to prefer just hanging outside all day by herself. Are there any concerns with the dog spending the majority of the day outside by herself, other than the obvious of making sure she doesn't get into mischief? The yard is pretty small and I work from home so I can pretty easily minimize potential trouble.

2) Do people have suggestions for things to leave outside with her to keep her entertained? Is it even necessary? She seems content just sitting in the grass and looking around, but a trainer recommended getting a bungee chew or something to tie to a tree for the dog to chew on and tug when she gets excited. Anyone have suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks. 

Find toys she likes that aren't easily destroyed. Most of my dogs just hang out relaxing when they're out in the yard, but a couple will entertain themselves by playing with toys. Favorite toys are jolly balls (both the kind with the handle like horse owners give their bored horses and also the hard plastic kind that has a smaller soft ball inside).  One of my youngsters will roll the latter type around the yard to play. Another form of outdoor entertainment: digging (which you may it may not appreciate) and chasing one another (which doesn't work with only one dog). A dog who likes balls might enjoy a tether ball. Just keep an eye on whatever toys you leave out there so you can remove them if they get damaged/chewed to the point that they could become a health hazard to your dog.

J.