BC Boards
chene

Crazy whining to certain music?

Been a while since I've posted here, but I'm curious (and a little worried) about this issue that popped up a couple of years ago with my pup. He's 5 and I never had an issue with it for the first two or three years. So I've heard of dogs howling or whining a bit to certain music, but Aed goes crazy when I play some songs. And it seems that the older he gets, the more songs he whines at. When I say "whines", I mean he totally freaks out. He's desperate, he sounds like he's in pain, very very occasionally it will turn into howling but most of the time he's just super high pitch almost yelping that doesn't end and gets more and more intense if I don't turn the song off. I can't see a trend between the songs that freak him out, and I can't figure out how it could actually be causing him pain, but it's driving me crazy, so many of my songs I can't even play because he won't let me. I can't see any real solution either but I am curious, anyone had this before?

edit:
Here is an old video (click sound on) showing what he does, this is right at the start before he gets super intense and freaked out but you can hear the kind of whining it is and see the physical discomfort too (for context he was lying on the floor on the other side of the room and ran up to me and started pawing and pressing against me when the song was turned on)

I have never had anything like that with music for my dogs, but one of my dogs went much like this at an Anthony Bourdain episode where there were those bouncing cars.  Another of my dogs is completely terrified of flies.

Dogs do have much more sensitive hearing, so there must be something in the music that he does not like, some sound too high or low pitched for us to hear that is freaking him out.

Maybe you could try desensitisation?  Otherwise it may be easier to listen to that music in the car or other places when he is not with you, so as not to upset him.

Sorry, I am not much help.

Some dogs just react to certain music. Dunno if it's still current but years ago there were scads of Youtube videos with dogs singing/whining/howling to the intro music from Law & Order.

Several years ago I noticed Bodhi was doing a lot of whining and I was very concerned he might be ill. Several visits to the vet, bloodwork and even a trip to a vet specializing in ultrasounds (not as many practices had them then). Several hundred dollars later we'd found nothing that might be causing it. I'd been having a difficult period with my own health and been lying on the couch for hours drifting in and out of sleep when one day I noticed the whining was occurring at regular intervals. Paying closer attention I finally realized it was every hour on the hour. I'd had the TV on and he'd whine every time a new episode of Bonanza came on! No Bonanza, no whining. It was 100% confirmed when we were at a therapy dog visit to a nursing home and a woman was watching a DVD of Bonanza. When the new episode began he started whining again. :rolleyes: BTW, he's never reacted to Law & Order, but will react more mildly to Gunsmoke's theme music. It must be certain frequencies or pitches that some dogs are sensitive to.

If you've had a vet check and everything seems OK, I'd guess it might be something like this.

My Jan is perfectly fine with the Amazon Music station called “classical music for studying”, but if I start singing she will whine. She is not wrong. I do find the behavior odd, though.

I have known of dogs that would whine or even howl at certain songs, but not all music. I figure it must have something to do with differences in pitch and/or tempo, and that they find it more nails-on-chalkboard annoying than actually painful. 

Many people don't realize it, but many if not most dogs have their preferences when it comes to music the same as we do. I have learned this because I do Musical Canine Freestyle and we know that the dog has to like the music you choose to use or the routine will fall flat.

I think it makes sense, because their hearing is very sensitive, especially so for border collies. I sympathize because if someone started playing heavy metal music or  rap I would start whining, too. I would suggest you not play the music that your dog hates unless he is outside, or at least in another room with the door closed. Or, can you simply use earbuds to listen to it? If your dog hates the music it is unlikely that desensitization  will work.  You could feed me chocolate every time I heard rap music and I would still hate rap music.

Thanks for the answers guys! Nice to hear from some familiar faces. That's pretty much what I was expecting. Of course I don't listen to the music without headphones on, even if I could bring myself to be that unkind his screaming would make it an awful experience regardless. I guess I just wanted to make sure that this wasn't indicative of any deeper problems given the intensity of the whining (the height of which wasn't at all portrayed in the video). If it was just like the level in the video I would assume he was annoyed, but the way he sounds like someone's attacking him just freaks me out. It is unfortunate that it seems to have extended to cover almost half of my music by now but maybe he's just telling me to get better taste!