BC Boards

Border Collie, NYC, AND NYU

I’ve found myself in quite a predicament as I will be attending NYU and living off campus my first year. The apartment I have chosen DOES allow dogs HOWEVER since I will be attending NYU will I have enough time for my family’s BC? Here’s some background. I currently live in Saint George Utah. Where temperatures reach 105-110 daily. Most days Zena (our 1 year old collies name which means “helper of mankind in Scottish) can’t even take a walk because the pavement is too hot. On mornings that the temperature isn’t so extreme I take her on hikes and to the park as much as possible, but it’s just too dang hot for a full coated, long haired collie most days. NY seems much more temperature suited then UT. Then our predicament comes into play. I’m moving into a new apartment with 2 other roommates. It’s a 2 bedroom. Both of the other girls are fine with having a BC but only one of them has ever had a dog before, and even then it was a Shitzu. I feel like going to NYU and living in NYC would be more of a punishment then a realease for Zena. However, leaving her in this hot, dry climate doesn’t sound perfect either. Especially with my parents getting older (I am the last of 3 children and I was rather late in the game) I’m not sure she would get proper excersise... can a pup (1 year old) strive in NYC while it’s mom is going to school? Please send advice!