BC Boards

BC mix?

Hello everyone! I am often told by strangers that her nose is too short and her forehead is too high for a border. Thoughts on a mix? She is 14 months old and has been 43 pounds for quite a while now and she’s more precious than gold!E3D2E1C9-FED6-4101-A8EE-9A66B6CACEDB.thumb.png.951268224fe9bde8116da515cc0c3ed2.png652CF67B-0C9B-49C2-827F-E012FE68038D.thumb.png.9ff88e312797e9d93bcad2f087c530b2.png92C7CCEB-CC07-4E35-99F1-E79E8AF58BD7.thumb.jpeg.7e94e76a5685bc5c48cc15b5dbd5003c.jpeg

I would not question her as a full BC.  She may or may not meet the "breed standard" for a barbie collie, but true BCs can have great variation.

She may be a mix, but she looks like a BC to me (not that I am an expert!)

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. I guess I was getting swayed  by strangers who would ask and when I’d reply border collie, they’d snap back with “no she isn’t “. I should know better. My mom has a smooth coat border with a white head and people are always arguing with her. As for Ruby’s behavior, she definitely acts like a border. I’ve lost 12 pounds in the year I’ve had her...

6 hours ago, urge to herd said:

I was told at least 2x that all border collies are b/w, therefore my red/white was an Australian Shepherd. Sigh.

Ruth & Gibbs

I have a merle BC with blue eyes so I get asked all the time if she is an Aussie or a husky mix. When I tell them she is a full BC they still question me. So I feel you, lol

People rarely recognize my smooth coat as a BC because of her coat and because she has ticking. Most people think she is a mix with a Stabyhoun (very popular breed where I live). 

I always tell them that for a hunting cross she does remarkably well herding sheep then :P

I just tell people Molly's an ugly border collie and move on with it (she is not ugly at all).  Occasionally online I'll show a video of her failing to lure course because she's exhibiting herding behavior, but mostly I just move on with it.

5 hours ago, Flora & Molly said:

People rarely recognize my smooth coat as a BC because of her coat and because she has ticking. Most people think she is a mix with a Stabyhoun (very popular breed where I live). 

I always tell them that for a hunting cross she does remarkably well herding sheep then :P

Also your Molly looks a lot like my Molly :P