BC Boards

Dehydration

Mhairi eats pretty regular during the week s she goes to puppy day care daily where she burns off energy.  Weekends not as much intake or activity.  She didn't eat for about 20 hours from Saturday to Sunday.  Threw up yellow bile yesterday afternoon so it was off to the emergency vet.  Blood work, X-ray and iv as I'm being told she's dehydrated.  

I may not have food down all day but there's always water available.  Always.  I'm from Arizona so there's always clean water available.  

Seems to me drinking would be instinctive. Anyone else have a problem getting their 2 year old to drink enough?

Did you offer her food that she will usually gobble down? If she didn't eat yummy stuff that she would usually,, (favorite treats, bits of cheese or meat) then I'd say she picked up a virus of some kind. Dud she returned to normal behavior and eating habits after the iv? 

Dogs can get dehydrated, and a couple times I've seen re-hydration make a big difference in at least 2 of my dogs. Once they felt better, it was back to normal slurping away at the water bowl.

Ruth & Gibbs

Our dog does get so consumed with playing, Frisbee chasing, etc., that as a younger dog we'd often have to remind her to drink water when outside. So much so, that when leaving her with pet sitters, we'd have to tell them that she might not drink as she needs to when playing, unless reminded.

We always have a fresh bowl of water outside when playing. Now that she's older, she almost always drinks when she needs to, but there are still times that I say "Do you need some water?" and I can almost see her thinking "Oh yeah! Water." before trotting over to her bowl to drink.