BC Boards

More 'lure coursing' fail with Molly.

Hi CptJack,

In my opinion, as someone who uses Border Collies every day to manage my flock of sheep, Molly did pretty much with a Border Collie should do.  Border Collies have been bred for centuries to control the movement of livestock, not to chase them.   About 40 seconds into the first video, she got in front of the lure in an attempt to stop the movement.  She did the same at about 1 min 40 seconds, as well.  In the first video, she was very serious, as a working Border Collie should be.   In the second video, she is simply being silly and just running around.   I'm sure that she can be taught to chase the lure, if that's what you want her to do.  However, if you want to pursue stock work with her, I would suggest that you don't encourage her to chase moving objects.  Just my shovelful.

nancy

27 minutes ago, NCStarkey said:

Hi CptJack,

In my opinion, as someone who uses Border Collies every day to manage my flock of sheep, Molly did pretty much with a Border Collie should do.  Border Collies have been bred for centuries to control the movement of livestock, not to chase them.   About 40 seconds into the first video, she got in front of the lure in an attempt to stop the movement.  She did the same at about 1 min 40 seconds, as well.  In the first video, she was very serious, as a working Border Collie should be.   In the second video, she is simply being silly and just running around.   I'm sure that she can be taught to chase the lure, if that's what you want her to do.  However, if you want to pursue stock work with her, I would suggest that you don't encourage her to chase moving objects.  Just my shovelful.

nancy

I find it super neat that you pegged the 'being silly and running around' because that video was actually taken first/immediately upon getting there and out of the van, the others were taken later (by about 2 minutes, once she'd run off some crazy from the trip).  I reversed because that was the longer and shakier clip and I figured it was less interesting to people.  So you super nailed that.

Truthfully, this is a friends property and machine, and we go out maybe once a year.  So it doesn't matter if she does it 'wrong' (ie: doesn't chase the lure) and the only real chasing in her life is the occasional ball toss.  That said, it's neat to watch her play the game on her terms (and she does know it's a game, she's very polite in sitting in front of the thing while the bag is attached and Friend settles down to pick up the remote).   I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to try any stock work with her, much less seriously, though I have recently gotten a lead on someone not terribly far from me I would like to make contact with.    If only just to watch them work THEIR dogs.  

Also!  While it seems I mostly am doing things right/or at least not super wrong, I SUPER appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to give it!  I learned a lot just from you pointing out what she was doing when and am very grateful for you taking the time to tell me!

Hi again,

You are certainly welcome for my input...as I wrote, it's just my shovelful.  Your girl is a beautiful dog, and she looks very much like many working Border Collies that I know.   Also, it was obvious that she was truly trying to figure out "the game" in the first video.  One thing to keep in mind is that lure coursing was created for sight hounds, dogs that readily do their job of chasing down prey on their own.  Border Collies, on the other hand, do their work in partnership with their human counterpart.  In the video, Molly was in the field alone, and she may have been waiting for you to be out there to give her some guidance (not to say that you should go help her learn to chase, just to explain the Border Collie mentality and her hesitance to do things on her own).    

If you would like to watch a sheepdog trial, there will be two not too far from you on June 22/23 and June 29/30 in Newport, VA.  For more information, contact Laura Noll at  info@glenrosefarms.com    One word of warning, stock work is absolutely addictive, so if you want to get involved, be prepared to suffer the consequences (buy a farm, buy some sheep, buy a camper to go to trials, etc.).  

nancy