BC Boards

Male or female BC pup??

Hi guys,

We’re hoping to ask for your advice and expertise about BC puppies? We have a male border collie named Jasper, he is our baby and we love him to bits and pieces, he is such a sweetie and a massive softie, we just adore him and everything he does. 

Our family consists of my husband, myself, our two daughters (9 and 11) and of course jasper who is almost 2 years of age (and desexed). We’re thinking about getting a new addition to our family, another BC puppy but we want to ask for your experience in whether the boy/girl or boy/boy mix would work best??

Any experience and/or opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks so much,

Bec :)

EFB68147-6CF1-422F-A7E4-5FFA053FBE1B.jpeg

I've found over the years that 2 neutered males are the best buddies.  That said, I've seen littermate brothers try to kill one another.  Two females, even spayed, can sometimes fight and even kill one another (bitch fights are the scariest IMHO).  A male and female often get along well, but their play styles are different (girls rule!) so the relationship is a bit more one sided.  

No rules are set in stone, this has been based on both my experiences and observations over the years.

You have a beautiful dog. :-)

I have, as Liz P says above, seen two neutered males become the best buddies ever. But my personal experience tells me that I would rather have a male and a female. Of course, it depends entirely on the personalities involved. My male and female duo border collies got along very well, but it was the male who called the shots from day one because he was here first and the female was a subservient type. If the female is a dominant type it could go the other way. The one thing I would always steer away from is two females.

Observe your dog with other dogs and determine for yourself if he seems to like males to play with better or not. If he doesn't seem to have a preference, then if it were me I would simply choose the new dog by learning as much as possible about that dog or puppy's personality and choose based on what it seems to me will go best with the other dog's personality.

And keep in mind that things can always change. Two dogs who get along great at first may not always do so, and vice versa. But if you choose carefully and, if possible allow your dog to participate in the choosing, you will be more likely to have success.

NOTE---This is a very, very good time for you to consider getting an adult dog from a rescue. Seriously consider this. An adult (or older puppy...say 6 to 12 months) from a rescue is much more of a known than is a baby, and you will have the chance to let the two dogs meet up and see if they get along. There are so many who need homes. In my opinion, your very best shot  at success is to go this route.

5 hours ago, Journey said:

Get the puppy *you* like/want. There's no guarantee either way they'll get along, or won't, so it may as well be one you want. It's *your* house!

I was just about to post this same advice.  Over the years I've always alternated between boy dog then girl dog then boy dog...  on the theory that boy/girl combos are more likely to get along than same sex combos.  But, sometimes I've had three dogs, and it wasn't possible to have them each be a different sex, and they all got along anyway.  My latest addition is my first deviation from the boy/girl alternation -  an unneutered 11 month old male who gets along fabulously with my 7 year old intact male. At 11 months, I suppose it's possible that the youngster's puppy license may still expire with my older male, but I see no signs of it. My crotchety 13 year old spayed bitch hates them both, because she''s old and dignified and getting frail and they are both doofuses. 

As Journey said, get the puppy/dog you like the best. 

I have four boys, three of whom are neutered.  The entire male is the most laid back dog out of all of them.

I will always be happy to have neutered males together.  I have found them to be cuddly and affectionate.  I may consider getting a bitch at some point, but I am not fussed if I only ever have males.

I do think that it really depends on the individual dogs, so a slightly older dog from a rescue is a great idea.  If your heart is set on a puppy, go with the one whose personality matches what you want from a dog.  He or she will have a puppy license for the first few months while your dog gets used to him or her, and then things should go okay.  They may or may not be best friends, but hopefully will get along.