BC Boards

Does a smooth coat BC shed less than a rough coat BC?

I don't have any experience with rough coated dogs, but my smooth coated dog can shed a lot. A lot more than my mother's Jack Russell terrier, who doesn't have an undercoat.
Someone once said to me (can't remember who) that long and short haired dogs shed the same amount, but long hairs will form a little bundle on the ground that is easier to pick up, whereas short hairs tend to stick individually (and can be more annoying to clean up). Not sure if this is true though :) but I sure have to vaccuum a lot with my smooth coated dog and a cat.

Welcome to the Boards.

On 6/8/2019 at 12:25 PM, Archie Obet said:

Do smooth coats shed less? 

Nope.

Sorry, but that's the only answer I have, having had both. And I agree w/ the comment above that the rough coats' fur will tend to clump more. With one of each the short will probably clump w/ the longer fur.

My smoothies shed as much as my rough one. The difference is that the hair falls out of the smooth ones easier. The rough coats tend to trap the hair a bit more so it kinda waits for you to brush it out.

The smooths are a LOT easier to keep clean in the great outdoors though