BC Boards

You May Be Stressing Out Your Dog

Funny to me that an article would say "The results suggest that dogs may be quite sensitive to human stress". Although not really funny in a laughing way.

Anyone who has ever had a close relationship with a dog, or who has ever even lived with a dog and paid any attention to it or observed it at all  knows this, of course, as it is obvious. It is kind of a shame that they even need to write an article about it. On the other hand, if the article makes a few people think about it and perhaps modify their behavior as a result, then some dogs could benefit, and I hope that is the case.

21 hours ago, D'Elle said:

Funny to me that an article would say "The results suggest that dogs may be quite sensitive to human stress". Although not really funny in a laughing way.

It’s the type wording you use for studies in case there were mistakes made, tainted data, and just simply because one study can’t say all dogs are sensitive to human stress all the time. In writing about research, you always stick as close to the facts as possible. In this case, their results do suggest it and they rightly did not claim their study was without doubt entirely accurate because they can’t claim that.

More studies will build off this and the more studies we have that indicate dogs are sensitive to human emotions that we have then the more accurate it likely is. But a good researcher never assumes basic facts unless they have been proven accurate beyond a shadow of a doubt. That’s why studies say that their results suggest something rather than that their results prove something. :)

Once when I was driving along a highway I drove past a particularly hazardous junction. I didn’t break or accelerate or speak or make any sound at all but as I watched my mirrors and other cars carefully I could sense in myself a slight adrenaline rush as I concentrated. At this moment Merlin started whining and fussing from his crate in the back. And as soon as we were passed the junction and I felt calmer myself he settled back down. It could only have been my alertness that he sensed. 

The article I read suggested that stressed people who actually sought comfort by hugging their dogs etc resulted in dogs that had lower levels of cortisol (the stress hormone), and this was theorised to be because hugging made both human and dog feel good.

I really like that idea.  I have a mug that reads "Wake up.  Hug dog.  Have a good day".  For both of you!