BC Boards

Scared aggression

Hi everyone,

this is my first post, but I am very unsure about what to do about my BC pup. 

My puppy is only 5 months old and has been next to perfect since we got him. 

He’s loving and affectionate, great with kids and is learning really well... with the exception of one thing. He is terrified of other dogs - and now that fear has started turning into aggression. 

I am unsure where this fear comes from as I have three other dogs (of all different breeds) and he absolutely LOVES all three of them - but whenever we are out and another dog approaches him he is very scared (and taking him to puppy school has seemed to make this even worse). Unfortunately he got attacked at puppy school which I fear did not help him either - and since he has started getting bigger his fear has started to turn into aggression toward smaller dogs, as well as nipping at their faces and extreme timidness to big dogs. 

Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, is there any way to encourage them to be more social?

Thanks 

Hi and welcome to the BC Boards. The first thing I would want to know is what has the instructor said at puppy class.  And I would say, drop out of the puppy class, as it is making things worse.  What has that instructor told you about his fear aggression toward the other puppies?  Just wondering.

Your pup needs to have some gentle work while he overcomes this problem, and putting him in with a bunch of other dogs in a class will not help with this, as it is overwhelming him.

Are your other dogs social with new dogs they meet?  If so, one thing you could do is try  is taking short walks with both your puppy and one of your friendly dogs on leash. The reason for this is that if your pup sees that the other dog is friendly and not afraid, it might help. But the main thing is not to overwhelm your puppy with other dogs.  If you do take him out with another one of your dogs, you would still follow the protocol below:

If possible, get a friend with a calm friendly dog to help you with this. Take your pup out on leash and let the person with the other dog (on leash) be seen, but about a block away. As soon as your dog sees the other dog, give your dog treats, and speak in a very calm but upbeat voice:  "Oh look, there's another dog. How cool. Now you get some treats". ....and then turn and walk away. Do not speak to your dog in a reassuring tone: "it's ooooookay..." because that will only tell him there's something to fear. Just speak normally, but with a smile in your voice.

Repeat the session with the dog at a distance a few times.  Only about 2 minutes each day. Then let the other dog get about 5 to10 feet closer and repeat there. And very slowly, over the course of many days (this could take as much as a month or more) the other dog gets closer, while you are giving treats. Make the sessions very short.  Watch your dog very closely. The minute your dog gets tense, you end the session and the next time you have the other dog start back farther away again. Only move closer to the other dog if your dog seems relaxed at the distance you are before you move closer.

You have to be very, very patient with this. This is slow counter-conditioning, and it cannot be rushed.  Best of luck to you and let us know how it is going.