BC Boards

Dog Park Etiquette (and Other Articles)

Because it's a topic that come up here pretty regularly, I thought this article might be useful for people contemplating using a dog park or understanding just why so many of us aren't big fans.

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/mistakes-people-make-dog-park-put-their-pet-risk-ncna996146

The related article on walking dogs is also a good one. Don't be put off by the first few paragraphs regarding seniors. It becomes less less specific to senior issues very quickly to focus on good leash walking skills.

The one linked at then end of the article about "What Your Dog's Bad Behavior Says About You" is also a useful read backing up much of what many of us here suggest. It's not very detailed, and I really wish it had elaborated on the final bit about the element of surprise as an interruption to unwanted behavior, but it's a good overview with reasons explained.

I kind of don't like articles like "what your dog's bad behavior says about you" because it really doesn't say near enough, as GL points out. It is one of those things wherein a tiny bit of information without the rest of the necessary information to go with it is likely to be more detrimental than helpful. I fear this is the case with this article. I kind of like the dog park one, though. Although my advice is always simply Don't Go There.