BC Boards

Puppy Personality

If your dog ended up having separation anxiety, or just an inability to be alone without being too worked up/getting into trouble, at what age did it start or did you see signs that maybe it would be that way? My little guy is almost 3 months old, and has been home alone while we work since he came home with us at 7 weeks. We hired someone to come midday to play and walk, but he is alone for 8 hours before its all said and done. He does AMAZING with this. I have a camera, and I check in on him frequently throughout my day. He never cries, never whines, has not destroyed anything, and never barks. Is this possibly just his nature to be so laid back and independent, or have we not hit the age where being alone is an issue? I feel really happy with the idea of him just naturally being this laid back because I need a pup who can be home alone, but I also don't want to be lulled into a false sense of security if it is just too early for a lot of those issues/behaviors to hit! Haha Here is a picture of the little fella, not sure why I can't get it to rotate right! 

Dougie2.thumb.JPG.e6f13399447b05b48299bb42982d074b.JPG

There's no accurate answer to your question because every dog is different. He might go through a fear period or develop anxiety and he might not. Enjoy this  behavior while you have it, and roll with it if it changes. 

He's awfully cute!

Brown freckles! Adorable!

My pup is 6 months old. I don't know if she has separation anxiety but she does get extremely agitated sometimes (not all the time) when I put her in her crate. She's fine in there for short periods (45 min to 1 hour), especially after a good game of fetch. And she does well at night, provided I crawl onto my bed (in the same room), tell her good-night and then turn off the light. 

She has never been fond of being crated for more than a couple hours at a time, even when she was a sleepy young pup. She must sense that I'm leaving because when I have a doctor's appointment, make a trip to the grocery store, etc. she will pitch a fit. I put her in her crate when we have dinner and usually give her a snack of her own. She's fine until her food is gone and/or she hears our voices. Then she will throw a fit. She's actually lunged against her crate, scooting it almost 2 feet from the wall. She's probably get farther, except she hits the side of the bed frame.

The few times I've had to leave her with someone else, she doesn't even notice I'm gone. As long as someone is paying attention to her, she doesn't care what I do. So, for that reason I don't think her anxiety stems from being separated from her people.