BC Boards

Dasuquin effectivenss?

Gibbs is still pretty limpy on his left rear. Vet has recommended Dasuquin. Has anyone used this and did you get good results?

BTW, I inquired at the VCA where the ortho vet is. The very nice young man mentioned to me very quietly that VCA charges an automatic $17 stocking fee  for every single prescription. I'll be buying this on the internet, thank you!

TIA for your experiences!

Rugh & Gibbs

Ruth, I have given Cosequin (the predecessor to Dasuquin) to my dogs for over 25 years, and I take the human version of Cosequin (Cosamin) myself.  Nutramax Labs originally produced Cosequin as a joint supplement for horses, and then formulated products for dogs and humans.   Cosequin was one of the first joint supplements on the market, and extensive scientific research was done before marketing it.  Nutramax later formulated other products (Dasuquin, etc.), and the Nutramax products are highly regarded by the orthopedic veterinarians I know.   I highly recommend Nutramax products, and I'm certain that they have helped my dogs (and me) over the years.   

Regards,

nancy

PS:  I agree with you about shopping online!  

FYI: Mars Petcare, a subsidiary of Mars, Inc., owns the VCA chain practices as well as the Banfield, Blue Pearl and Pet Partners hospitals in the US and the Linnaeus Group Vet Services chain and Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition in the UK.

They also manufacture about 8 brands of pet foods and the Wisdom Panel DNA test.

Thanks to all for your input. Mark Billadeau, I glanced through the study you linked and book marked it. Will look at it more closely tomorrow or Tuesday.

Dr. Hayes already has him on carprofen and gabapentin, I've been restricting his activity for months. No ball chasing, only leash walks. And I'm doing daily PT with him. He's not getting worse, but he's not much better. 

I've heard adaquan injections are helpful, unless I'm misremembering several board members have reported good results. 

The only good thing here is that he's 11 and slowing down a bit naturally. 

Ruth & Gibbs

ETA he's had 6 rounds of cold laser therapy and that didn't help.

Several of my "senior" friends (specifically those who have had knees and hips replaced have said that they tried a joint supplement for a while, but it didn't do anything for them, so they stopped.  I think that many people believe that Cosequin, Dasuquin, and Cosamin are analgesics, so they expect to have an immediate response.  I feel very strongly that the Nutramax supplements have greatly helped my dogs and me with our mobility in our senior years.   That's just my shovelful.  :)