BC Boards

The little wolf

Hey all

I'm new to the forum and live in Brazil.  I would like to introduce my little girl Astrid. She has 12 months now, but i adopted her with 45 days. She is my first Border Collie and sh's amazing :wub:. She's devilish intelligent,  and i sure has ADHD  ahahahah, she's absolutely adorable!! I call her a little wolf because sometimes she looks like one, i swear. Well, here are some pics of her, from the beginning to now (ooh and thanks to admin for admitting me, looking forward to chatting to you all).

9d487e98-06cc-49c2-87f4-93e1733a6a25.jpg

IMG_1987.PNG

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_7014.JPG

IMG_7392.JPG

82acf9bd-4be3-4980-a4fd-b53ef069e389.jpg

Welcome to the Boards and thank you for the beautiful photos of your beautiful girl!  We call the little red ones with narrow muzzles "fox collies" and you can see in our avatar that we have one as well.  Her name is Ruby, and she is 15 years old and hasn't slowed down yet.  May Astrid do as well.  Do you have foxes in Brazil?  I think Astrid looks more like a fox than a wolf, even more so in the last photo.  I think there was a thread here in the past called "FoxCollies" that had a few photos so you can search for it.  Please continue to keep us informed of all Astrid's adventures!

Kathy Robbins

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 11:22 AM, Bordercentrics said:

Welcome to the Boards and thank you for the beautiful photos of your beautiful girl!  We call the little red ones with narrow muzzles "fox collies" and you can see in our avatar that we have one as well.  Her name is Ruby, and she is 15 years old and hasn't slowed down yet.  May Astrid do as well.  Do you have foxes in Brazil?  I think Astrid looks more like a fox than a wolf, even more so in the last photo.  I think there was a thread here in the past called "FoxCollies" that had a few photos so you can search for it.  Please continue to keep us informed of all Astrid's adventures!

Kathy Robbins

Sorry for the delay!! Fox collie, i loved it haha, and Ruby seems to be lovely to Kathy!! We do have foxes here, but more in the north of the country i guess, i live in the south, never saw one. I didn't find the "Foxcollie" threa d, i google it but didn't find any mix of the two, don't know if they can matte too, interesting thing to think. I'll keep you informed abou this little one!

On 4/6/2019 at 2:36 PM, urge to herd said:

I was thinking the same thing, Kathy! Scrolling thru the pix she does look very foxy to me. AND gave me a serious yen for a puppy. Roommate is talking me off the ledge.

Ruth & Gibbs

Puppies are the best thing right!!

True foxes and dogs are different species and even a different genus than dogs. They can't interbreed, if that's what you were referring to.

I believe the South American foxes are actually canids, the same genus as dogs and wolves, but still different species that wouldn't be interbreeding with dogs.

16 minutes ago, GentleLake said:

Foxes and dog are different species and even a different genus than dogs. They can't interbreed, if that's what you were referring to.

Sure they are, but there are cases of hybridization in the nature, i just thought in the possibility.

"Can't" was probably the wrong choice of words.

I don't know if there are any verifiable cases of it happening or not. I've read about stories, mostly in Europe, of it happening, but don't recall any substantial proof such as DNA, although most of the stories are old enough that DNA verification wouldn't have been available yet.

In my understanding cross breeding between species in nature is extremely rare and doesn't tend to happen unless there's particular pressure on one or the other of the species involved, such as sufficiently disproportionate numbers that one of them had no other recourse to attempt to reproduce. Even then, many hybrids of this type fail to thrive and often die extremely young and even fewer are able to reproduce.

Of course, this all begs the question of how accurate our understanding of species is (it's generally understood to be imperfect) and how impervious those divisions may or may not be. In any case, it's not anything that happens with enough frequency that biologists are considering reclassifying them as far as I know. ;)

Foxes and wolves truly do not/cannot interbreed.  They're MUCH more different than any other known cases of hybridization and science at the moment at least says 'no' there.  They're about as close to canines, appearances aside, as they are to a  skunk.