BC Boards

Vacuum cleaner -hiding under bed

Hello 

My 4 month old female, amazing in every way! Is very fearful of the vacuum cleaner... I tried now turning it on for just a minute , turning off, trying to give her treats.. associate good things with it ? and very limited exposure to the sound, a couple of seconds..... however, she first put herself in a corner, looking at the wall, then under the bed... it has been turned off now for several minutes, and still... I can not coax her out, in my cheeriest voice... with salmon? I am trying not to make a big deal out of this behavior.... ? Help please... do I leave her there, under the bed... until she chooses to come out? What is the very best way to over come this? I hope to travel with her... and of course hotels have vacuum cleaners... etc. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated, Thank You

Trudy

When our dogs were younger they acted fearful when I vacuumed.  I just ignored them and their behavior, and always have.  They are now almost 11, and 15+ and sometimes I have to poke them with the vacuum to get them to move out of the way.  Sometimes Ruby, the 15+, will leave the room with a disgusted look on her face, but Ben I have to keep herding out of the way.  A little fear would be appreciated now!  I can't say that this approach will work with every dog, and it takes a long time, but that is what happened here.  Not making a big deal about it, is ignoring it in my mind.  No treats, no coaxing, no cooing.  Good luck.

DH just just reminded me that the more often you vacuum, the sooner this will work.  When we got now carpeting, I began to vacuum daily, then on alternate days, and I still do that.  The frequency desensitizes them.

Kathy Robbins

Edited by Bordercentrics
additional information

It is entirely possible that your dog will get accustomed over time. It is also possible she will always go hide when it gets turned on....I have one who does, and I just ignore it because he is not showing terrible fear, just getting himself well out of the way. If you are trying to counter-condition your dog, however, you are moving extremely too fast. I don't know if it is necessarily important to do the counter-conditioning, but just so you know for any future reference, it has to be taken very, very slowly, starting with the vacuum turned off and far away from the dog.

Thank You!!!! I am asking because I do not know.... and really appreciate the help. It sounds like I should ignore this and allow her to stay under the bed as long as she wishes even after the Vacuum is turned off. Thank You! 

Sorry to say I just zoomed by your post just now. And thought that the vacuum cleaner was hiding. Made me think of a Roomba that had gotten stuck. ;)

Having sorted that out, yes. Let her hide. Motel housekeepers generally do not clean while guests are in their rooms. I hope you don't mean to leave her alone in a motel room?

Ruth & Gibbs, who doesn't like the vacuum either.

I had a border collie that liked to attack the vacuum cleaner.  I mean hide behind furniture or around corners and pounce when he thought I was not paying enough attention.   He taught the next puppy to do the same, they taught the next puppy to do the same.  He passed from cancer and I was still dealing with having to put put dogs in down stays or put in crates to get vacuuming done.  The next puppy was a bit afraid of the vacuum and would go off into another room.  I ignored her and now she just jumps up on chair out of the way.  So much better.  I think I like having a dog a bit afraid of the vacuum.  

I've had four Border Collies that love to attack the vacuum!!!!  I make it worse because I laugh!!!!  I'd ignore the behavior and be thankful you don't have teeth marks on your vacuum!