BC Boards

Super Border Collie!

It's a bird. It's a plane. No, it's Super Border Collie!

Yesterday, my 5-month-old pup gave me a major scare. I told her that I was going to make her "kibble time" (term we use for her meal). I had her Kong in one hand and the kibble container in the other. I was heading to the counter where I always prepare her food. The cutting board, which pulls out of the cabinet just an inch or two below the counter, was out. And my girl, who is NOT encouraged to jump, comes zooming into the kitchen, passes me and jumps ONTO the cutting board and almost immediately jumps/falls off.

Both of my hands were full and, to be honest, it all happened so fast that I was not in the mindset to drop what I had in my hands and catch her. Thankfully, she's fine. She continued to zoom around the house another minute or two until my son cornered her, grabbed hold of her leash and held her snug until she settled down. She wears a leash when she's loose in the house. It doesn't stop her from running around or getting into things but it makes it easier for us to catch her when she does.

She is still a pup. I know it's not good for her to jump like this. Not to mention the fact that she could have ended up in the sink where I had a large knife and glass baking dish. She has never jumped like this before. We pick lift her into the car and we lift her back out. The highest we've encouraged her to jump in the love seat, which is soft and squishy and barely 18" high. It was almost like she had super-doggy powers.

Is it normal for a pup this age to get so excited that they jump 36" with barely a running start? My son says I should confine her while I'm fixing meals (hers and ours). I think that's a wise decision under the circumstances. But what about the times when I'm not doing food preparation? Should I be concerned that she will try jumping on other places such as the kitchen table, kitchen counters, dressers? What should I do to discourage her jumping?

I have a 10 month old. One day when he was around 6 months old he was standing at the door of my car and I was preparing to let him in the car. When I said "load up" he jumped on the hood of the car and stared at me. My old dog Rocket hopped onto the washing machine after I happened to pat my legs ( a signal that it was okay to jump on me) while I was doing the laundry. Each of these happened from a complete standstill. So, your story seems like a border collie story. I am glad she's okay. 

In each of these cases I told the dog, "NO! not there!" and they got the hint. Wallace doesn't load onto the hood of the car and Rocket did not develop a habit of jumping on top of the washing machine or dryer. 

• 10 months later...

Last summer at my mom's we were out back on the deck.  Uzi got up on the integrated bench on the railing, front paws up on the railing looking around.  I didn't think anything of it.  Then he jumped. :o  And my jaw dropped.  From the top of the railing to the ground is at least 8 feet down.   He landed just fine like motocross bike and carried on doing whatever.  I couldn't believe it.  He got a verbal scolding for that and has never done it again.

Ceile is 9 1/2 months.  I took her out to play with my Mom and Dad's Vizsla not long after the big snow storm.  The snow banks were just short of five feet tall so you can imagine my horror when Ceile leapt up the wall of snow, ran a few feet, spun around and came flying off of it like she had wings!  She kept on running when she hit the ground so I assumed she was okay didn't stop me from freaking out for the next few days every time I thought about it though.

Sort of glad to hear these stories.  I have been soooo careful with very low (8 inch) jumping in agility and not doing too much of it;  no a-frame, dog walk or teeter.  Picking him up in and out of the hatch back.  And then my super dog clears the baby gate the other night (literally sailed over it), jumped up over the back of the La-Z-Boy Loveseat when he was younger (until I corrected that one), and early-on, did two stints of jumping up and walking on the kitchen table.  It is a nightmare just trying to keep him from killing himself.

BookIt did this as a 6 month old puppy. Rainy-day zoomies through the kitchen, and I guess he just couldn’t stop in time, so he flew onto the counter. Fortunately he listened to my panicked ‘sit, stay’ before he could fly back off and break a leg. And of course I couldn’t turn down the photo-op, LOL

4E5C28DC-8373-429D-9CDF-978F70BC7FED.jpeg

On 1/26/2020 at 7:22 PM, Mddvm said:

BookIt did this as a 6 month old puppy. Rainy-day zoomies through the kitchen, and I guess he just couldn’t stop in time, so he flew onto the counter. Fortunately he listened to my panicked ‘sit, stay’ before he could fly back off and break a leg. And of course I couldn’t turn down the photo-op, LOL

4E5C28DC-8373-429D-9CDF-978F70BC7FED.jpeg

You win!!  :lol: