BC Boards

Potty/Kennel Training

So I was wondering, I know with a young pup you should be taking them out to potty frequently. Well we kennel train at night, and so if he starts hollering in the middle of the night, I will go to his kennel and let him out. Of course then having to go back in is another hour hour of crying, but I suppose that's to be expected. However, in my research on kennel training, it is said do not address your pup if he is hollering and crying in the kennel, as this give him the idea that by acting that way, he will get attention. So my question is, how do I potty train and yet still successfully kennel train? Aren't they conflicting? Maybe I am overthinking it. 

We were lucky with our border collie puppy. The first night we put him in his crate at 10 pm, he cried for 10 minutes then went to sleep. We woke at 3 am, he had not made a noise, but we were sure he must want to go outside.  The puppy pad that we put in was shredded, but was not used. He went straight out in the garden for a wee and poo. The next night, he woke us at 4 am and did so for a week or so, then went till 5 am. I know we were really lucky with this, but it was all his doing. We did learn no food or drink after 6 pm so he did not need to go out in the night. We were surprised how long he could go without needing to toilet.

He is now 10 months old and goes happily in his crate to sleep at night or in the day when I go out, when I make sure he has been walked and is ready for a sleep.  

On 3/22/2019 at 5:29 AM, baileychristine0514 said:

So I was wondering, I know with a young pup you should be taking them out to potty frequently. Well we kennel train at night, and so if he starts hollering in the middle of the night, I will go to his kennel and let him out. Of course then having to go back in is another hour hour of crying, but I suppose that's to be expected. However, in my research on kennel training, it is said do not address your pup if he is hollering and crying in the kennel, as this give him the idea that by acting that way, he will get attention. So my question is, how do I potty train and yet still successfully kennel train? Aren't they conflicting? Maybe I am overthinking it. 

I don't know how old this puppy is, but I would set the alarm and take him out on a schedule every two to three hours at night, depending on his age, regardless of whether or not he is making noise.