BC Boards

Flying Malinois

geonni banner

Mals are the ultimate canine athlets. I do frisbee with Tess and have seen many mals playing frisbee. The diference in styles is abissal. She always waits till the disc is at a reasonable distance from the ground to catch it. All the mals I've seen think the way to do it is jump 8 feet in the air to catch the dam thing high up there.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:30 AM, teresaserrano said:

All the mals I've seen think the way to do it is jump 8 feet in the air to catch the dam thing high up there.

My own BC does this and I don't know why?! Only with the disk, not balls. For this reason I limit the disk. Sometimes when he lands I can almost feel it myself and cringe, tell him, "you know, that's really not necessary" 

Yeah, Molly is one of those 'leap really high vertically to catch the disc'.  It's a pretty sharp contrast to Kiran who just jumps in stride - sometimes very high but IN STRIDE like he's jumping over something, in comparison to Molly who goes vertical.  Kiran pushes off with the back, moves forward as well as up, lands on his front and keeps going.  Molly goes straight up in place, and lands on her back legs and I hate it.   Both compete some in disc, but I limit Molly way more and their styles are wildly different.

I think Hannah must have found my copy of Asimov on Physics.  She somehow calculates the trajectory of the frisbee so that she can pick it out of the air with a minimum of effort and without breaking her stride. It reminds me of this cartoon I found: 

370056F3-9FAE-4FA3-8E90-198519551B26.jpeg

On 3/7/2019 at 9:17 PM, CptJack said:

Yeah, Molly is one of those 'leap really high vertically to catch the disc'.  It's a pretty sharp contrast to Kiran who just jumps in stride - sometimes very high but IN STRIDE like he's jumping over something, in comparison to Molly who goes vertical.  Kiran pushes off with the back, moves forward as well as up, lands on his front and keeps going.  Molly goes straight up in place, and lands on her back legs and I hate it.   Both compete some in disc, but I limit Molly way more and their styles are wildly different.

Kolt moves like Kiran. It’s fluid and powerful. 

Tess is less controlled. But she’s also faster. I try to throw the disc more so there’s a greater lead out so she has to power into it instead of being able to beat it and jump vertical 

48 minutes ago, Maralynn said:

Kolt moves like Kiran. It’s fluid and powerful. 

Tess is less controlled. But she’s also faster. I try to throw the disc more so there’s a greater lead out so she has to power into it instead of being able to beat it and jump vertical 

Yeah.  I have found with Molly if I start her before the disc I actually have better luck - but it's a matter of starting her running around me and then throwing low and fast so it's straight in front of her nose and she's chasing it right up until the catch there's less opportunity to jump which is good.  Or, as you said, leading out from her.  Throwing conditions also matter much, much more with her.