BC Boards

fading puppy syndrome

sea4th

Is anyone familiar with fading puppy syndrome. From what I've heard, no one really knows the cause of it----a seemingly thriving puppy, stops nursing, fades & dies, all within a couple of hours? My friend's bitch had a litter delivered by C-section last week, & lost 2 of the six pups this way. Could the fact that it's an older bitch, first litter have anything to do with it?

My vet, who breeds pugs, has had this happen and does necropsies on the pups & has found fluid in the lungs in many of them. So just trying to make a connection here---concerned that the remaining 4 are in peril of the same fate.

Thanks.

Vicki

I?ve heard of it in a couple of BC litters here in Tasmania. In one case, 4 out of 6 pups died, but the remaining 2 seemed to do well. One certainly grew up normally and was a fine healthy dog. The bitch in that case was not an older bitch, as far as I know, but I guess that could be a factor. There?s been some speculation that it may have something to do with some low grade infection in the mother, but I didn?t hear in either case whether there was a definite diagnosis.

------------------

Barb

it can happen in all breeds i had a shih tzu litter and they were all healthy in the morning and than in the afternoon the one puppy was not as strong would not nurse very limp when you picked him up so i went out and bought pet tonic which is like a stimulant and gave it to the puppy and fed him some milk by hand to strengthen him up and it took a couple of days and he got his strength back he was always a little smaller than the other puppies but he survived If you keep a close watch on the puppies you can see the change in the puppy