BC Boards

Traveling

I would like some recommendations for your favorite pet protection covers for vehicles when traveling? Sold my old SUV, and needing to purchase something for the cargo area in the new one (full size GMC). Any particular brands you like/dislike? There’s so many listed on Amazon, it’s mind boggling, just to read the reviews. 

Thanks in advance-

I use old blankets that I find at the Goodwill. I get them in good shape, no tears or stains, and use two or three of them on top of each other to cover whatever part of the vehicle the dog will be travelling in. If I think there's a chance of an unscheduled deposit of fluids of any kind,  I put a plastic drop cloth down first,  then layers of blankets on top of that. I use large blankets so they cover everything. IMO there's no need to spend  four or five times as much money on something fancy when this method works just as well or better. Easy to wash and easily replaceable.

I've also used blankets from thrift stores, as well as towels, comforters, bed spreads and flannel sheets. Friends have given me those items, too. At one point I had 3 border collies, who all went out to play ball 2x/day. Rainy season was also known as 'hosing the dogs off' season. 

I'd go with the cheaper version for right now. Prepare to vacuum your car at least a couple times a month. No matter what you put down, that darn fur gets everywhere.

Happy travels!

Ruth & Gibbs

I really like the waterproof sling type covers for the back seat. I got one pretty inexpensively at Home Goods a number of years ago and it's held up really well with a lot of use and kept some messes from going through to the upholstery. The one I have's made by Sherpa. Kurgo makes one, and there are others.

If you want something easily removable in case of accidents, you can always throw an old blanket over it.

24 minutes ago, Tuxedodog said:

I use yoga mats to keep doggie toenails out of the upholstery and you don't have worry about muddy feet soaking through the towels.

YES! I grab yoga mats at thrift stores whenever I see them. They can be cut up and glued or taped w/double sided tape to things like stair steps. I've got one in the cargo area of my car, a couple throughout the house on slippery linoleum, and a piece on a homemade 'step' that lives in the car for Gibbs to get in and out. If they get really dirty, I hose them off outside and leave them in the sun for a bit. Not very decorative, but incredibly useful. I keep finding new uses for this resource.

Ruth & Gibbs

On 2/28/2019 at 9:50 AM, TrailDogs said:

I settled on two travel crates in the back of my SUV, which is so much easier and no more daily or weekly vacuuming, or muddy paws during rainy season.

Yes, have a crate, was concerned about the wires/edges marking up the new interior... might be futile, though, hauling four legged creatures with claws! :wacko:

TY, @Tuxedodog, @urge to herd- novel idea for yoga mats. Was thinking about the jump up into the SUV and how to avoid claw scratches on the bumper :)

Thanks!

My first border collie used to jump into the bed of a full sized pickup truck with the tailgate closed. He never scratched the truck. He never made contact with the bumper and his back feet barely touched the top rim of the tailgate, just for balance.

My cars have been smaller than SUVs but my dogs, even the smaller ones, haven't scratched the bumpers getting in and out of the rear hatches.

I doubt you're going to have to worry about your bumper.

Ranch hand, it might be good for you to work a bit with that reluctance. Try giving treats every time the dog gets in. Act as though it is a trick you are asking him to do and when he does it he gets a treat. May as well train him to like getting in so you never have to boost him in. 

On 3/5/2019 at 10:11 PM, D'Elle said:

Ranch hand, it might be good for you to work a bit with that reluctance. Try giving treats every time the dog gets in. Act as though it is a trick you are asking him to do and when he does it he gets a treat. May as well train him to like getting in so you never have to boost him in. 

Yes, @D’Elle, I understand where you’re coming from. He is one of three- and if they ALL are getting in, it’s no problem. But if he’s the only? It’s like “OK, what’s this about/not sure I want to go alone”- etc etc. Certainly not adverse to treating him...

Does he get praised (and maybe treated) when he gets in with the others? Would he get in willingly with only one other, sort of reducing the number of helpers incrementally?

Agree w/ Ruth that kind of practice would be a good thing, maybe even followed by everyone getting in the car. Any little thing you can do to increase his willingness to get in by himself could be helpful.

Good luck.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:55 PM, urge to herd said:

Ahhh, another puzzle piece. He's not sure he wants to be the only dog on the trip. So, get him in the truck and then out in a minute, back to his buddies. Repeat. 

Ruth & Gibbs

LOL- to be truthful, he IS sure he doesn't want to be the only dog :D  I can try that, yes, TY.

@GentleLake-

Yes, I always praise all 3 when they jump up into the car. Haven't passed out treats (mostly, to avoid the possibility of car sickness, which used to be a problem). Yes, he'll get in with just one of the others, incrementally. 

It's not like I'm pulling him, kicking and biting into the hatch. Just reluctance and stiffening. Hard on paint jobs ... we'll work it out. Thanks for your suggestions!

1 hour ago, Ranchhand said:

Hard on paint jobs ... we'll work it out. Thanks for your suggestions!

My boy has bad knees and I devised and intermediate step for him to hop into the back of my Matrix station wagon. It's a plastic file bin, available at any Office Depot, and probably else where. I taped a square of yoga mat on the lid, and taught him to jump onto the file box on his way into the car. Works like gangbusters. I did weight it down w/ something, and still steady it with my foot.

It's also useful to hold a couple spare leashes and towels, as well. I had tried a ramp. A) heavy and unwieldy for me to drag out, unfold, put in place, then reverse. B) took up a lot of space in the cargo area, barely room for Gibbs. The file box is much better.

Might work for your boy and spare your paint job.

Ruth & Gibbs