BC Boards

Signs of being in heat (5 months old)

irishwingy

My young collie girl appears to be coming into heat, and I was hoping some knowledgable folk might be able to tell me what signs to look for, in case I’m being paranoid! 

I have searched the forums but not found much, and talked to my vet, googled, etc. 

She is around 5 months old, though as a rescue her birth date might not be spot on. Just before she turned 5 months, I noticed a little brownish red stain on her belly. I’ve kept an eye on it, and am reasonably certain it’s discharge from her vulva. We thought she was far too young, and my reading on line makes me think it should be more obvious. Apart from my neutered males slightly higher interest in trying to hump her, I haven’t seen any other signs, but I’m terrified of risking her out walking with other dogs if there’s a chance. I don’t intend her having puppies at any age, never mind getting knocked up at 5 months old! 

As she is my first bitch pup as an adult myself, I’m a little nervous and want to make sure we get it right 

2 minutes ago, GentleLake said:

@irishwingy, In case you're not aware of this, Liz P is a vet. So I'd be inclined to weigh her advice more heavily than that from those of us who aren't.

Thanks for the info. I’ve called my vets enough times to be a pest. I will bring her in if it persists with out any other signs of being in heat, but I have contacted them and followed their advice. As I’m getting very little feedback on what to watch out for from them, I’d hoped those on here with experience might be helpful. Even if this isn’t her first heat, I need to watch out for it, I don’t want to be caught out.

You can dab a tissue on her vulva and see if there is reddish discharge.  The external vulva will get obviously swollen as her cycle progresses, and she will spend time licking down there as well.  If it is her season, when she is receptive she will raise her tail and present herself to your neutered males.  It's usually pretty obvious.

Good luck and enjoy your pup,

Amy

I agree w/Liz P about it being more likely to be a urinary tract infection. Don't call the vet again. Catch some urine from her, in a clean, dry container, (you'll need to be quick with this, and it might take a couple tries) and drop it off that day at your veterinarian's office. Keep it refrigerated if there's any delay between collecting it and taking it to the vet. You only need a small amount, a tablespoon is plenaty. If it's a UTI, she's likely uncomfortable and doesn't feel good. Getting her on some medication will fix the UTI. If she's in heat, then you'll know and can take appropriate  actions to fend off amorous suitors.

Good luck ~ I've had to deal w/urinary tract issues in one of my now-departed dogs. Catching it early makes a difference. If it's infection and she gets on the meds quickly, you'll see a fast turn around. Let us know what you find out.

Ruth & Gibbs 

3 hours ago, urge to herd said:

...Catch some urine from her, in a clean, dry container, (you'll need to be quick with this, and it might take a couple tries)...

I find the easiest way to do a urine catch is to use a medium sized skillet. A small saucepan would work as well but the wider the better. The one I use is stainless steel for easy sterilization afterwards.

Honestly, a urinalysis shouldn't be all that expensive and will give you peace of mind if she's not actually going into heat. And if she's not and it is a UTI, the longer you wait till you catch it the worse she'll be feeling.

Nancy's idea is great - I use a soup ladle, which works well but I have to bend over more than something like Nancy's idea might require. 

A female with a UTI can also be attractive to males - I have found that, in the two times Megan has had a UTI, the males were quick to let me know by sniffing her urine and her vulva area more than normally. I guess that's why dogs can be so good at detecting infection - they can scent differences from the norm. A female with a UTI will often also lick/clean herself much more frequently as well as wanting/needing to urinate more frequently, which is also common for bitches in season, so that can be confusing. 

I agree totally with Liz P and suggest catching a urine sample in a clean container (first sample of the day is often best as it is most concentrated) and getting it fresh to the vet, or refrigerating if you can't get it to the vet within an hour or so. 

In my limited experience and anecdotally, it seems that Border Collie females do not tend to come into heat at such a young age (doesn't mean one couldn't) and I agree with the others that checking for a UTI would be top priority. Also, and not likely at such a young age, could be the presence of crystals (found in examining a urine sample) that cause discomfort and irritation when urinating. 

Best wishes!

I purchased an inexpensive soup ladle, with a fairly large 'bowl'. The handle of the ladle is almost10" long, and the bowl is almost 4" wide and 2.5 " deep. It's really easy to slip under the dog, (female or male) and is for the sole and exclusive purpose of catching urine.

It lives in the dog food bin, wrapped in a plastic zipper storage bag. I haven't used it for a couple years, but would wash thoroughly w/antiseptic soap and let air dry before I use it again.

1 hour ago, GentleLake said:

I find the easiest way to do a urine catch is to use a medium sized skillet. A small saucepan would work as well but the wider the better. 

The problem I've had with collecting in the past has been with my females. They seemed to not care for the sensation of something moving around under their, ahem, business end. Neither of my boys has ever had a problem with me using the soup ladle to collect. 

Ruth & Gibbs

Agree with the above recommendations to get her checked for UTI. If that is what it is, she will be very uncomfortable and it will keep getting worse. Additionally, an untreated urinary tract infection can travel to the kidneys and do real damage.

My understanding is that if her vulva is not visibly swollen she is not in heat.