BC Boards

Surgical implant pain

Maralynn

Thanks for the well wishes. This has been tough.

In doing some reading, apparently long term NSAID use can cause delayed bone healing. She’s been on NSAIDs for a while so I’ll talk to the surgeon about seeing it that should be changed. 

Her leg is getting obviously worse and more painful so I decided to forgo the echo for now and bump surgery up a day. Because I’m most likely going to opt to do it regardless. 

Sigh. I just want a comfortable senior dog at this point 

^^ Ditto this.

Long term use of NSAIDs is problematic for many reasons, including kidney damage. I ended up in the hospital with kidney failure pretty close to requiring dialysis because of long term NSAIDs use. There are many other reasons to avoid prolonged use.

Wishing Kenzi and you the best.

Surgery round 3 was Monday and I picked Tuesday. She’s well drugged and looks and acts surprisingly good all things considered. 

Still happy to interact with everyone at the vet and still didn’t want to leave. 

She knows the drill at home. Waits to be picked up for stairs. Waits to be picked up for the couch. Waits at the door for the bag to go on her foot. 

I sure hope this works this time.