BC Boards

More on West Nile

Mary & Dogs

I have read things recently stating that West Nile has been found in Alligators - alligators were dying in alligator farms - and in squirrels. Has anyone else heard this?

This virus is so strange.

Does anyone know if it is common for viruses to jump from species to species like this? I wouldn't think so. Other than rabies, I can't think of any illness that everything gets. And isn't rabies just warm blooded animals?

West Nile is transmitted by mosquitoes, so if the animals are being bitten...We have crows dropping dead from the sky here is So Calif. and we don't even have a lot of mosquitoes. It is all very scary. What happens when all the birds that eat the insects and vermon are gone...? I wonder if it was found to be a terrorist planted virus, would George W. get on the stick and do more than just tell the public to wear long sleeves and deet???

Now, I am not absolutely sure about this because I read all the time and can't always remember where stuff comes from.

But I don't think West Nile killed birds like it has here when it was in other countries. I think that is a new thing. The birds that are most affected are still crows and blue jays - so there are a lot of bird species that are not especially at risk. I know that the raptors are susceptible, too - but I don't think its as bad as for crows and blue jays. That would make me think that magpies would also be having trouble.

Of course, horses and really at risk. And I have heard things that make me think the problem in the horses is a lot worse than the media has let on. A friend of mine told me that horses are dropping like flies up in Iowa and Illinois - but that is second hand information. But she has a sister in Iowa who lost a 28 year old horse and I think her sister probably does know some of what's going on in the horse world.

But I think it is very odd that a virus could affect to many types and species. Take distemper, for example, raccoons and dogs can get the same kind, but cats and rabbits get another kind - and it doesn't cross over. Fortunately, most dog and cat diseases can't be transmitted to humans.

But dying alligators? That is too wierd.

------------------

Mary Hartman

Kansas City, MO