BC Boards

Low protein food for hyper puppies, PLEASE HELP!

Our 5 and half month is soo hyper he comes put of his crates after naps and is non stop even with adequate mental and physical stimulation he just ends up over tired and has to be enforced for a nap.

He never stops moving and has too much energy I read in Barbara Sykes book 90% percent of border collies receive too much protein in their diet and need 24% or less. Our boys food is 27% however when I look round for kibble with lower protein its soo hard to find it.

Anyone have success stories or any recommendations?

Yes! I panicked about this because of what it says in that book but it’s the one aspect of what she writes about that I don’t buy into. 

I think cheap foods can cause issues and if they are high protein with cheap yuck then maybe that’s an issue but a good quality food shouldn’t be an issue re protein. 

What you are describing sounds like just his age. Plenty of sleep and plenty of a mixture of good training, play and physical/mental exercise  is the deal. And don’t forget to train ‘rest/settle’ - lots of threads on this.

We really noticed things improving in this regard as six months passed :) 

1 minute ago, ShellyF said:

Yes! I panicked about this because of what it says in that book but it’s the one aspect of what she writes about that I don’t buy into. 

I think cheap foods can cause issues and if they are high protein with cheap yuck then maybe that’s an issue but a good quality food shouldn’t be an issue re protein. 

What you are describing sounds like just his age. Plenty of sleep and plenty of a mixture of good training, play and physical/mental exercise  is the deal. And don’t forget to train ‘rest/settle’ - lots of threads on this.

We really noticed things improving in this regard as six months passed :) 

Thank you for the kind response :)

I would not handle this with lowering protein, as I do not believe that is the issue to address. You say you are doing adequate mental and physical stimulation, and probably you are, but to revisit that might not hurt, just to be sure that it is enough. If you are satisfied that the pup is receiving enough attention and stimulation and exercise, then the crate is your friend. Watch your dog for the very first signals that he is starting to reach the threshold of being over tired, and pop him immediately into the crate for a rest, nap, time out as soon as he shows those signs. Don't let him get to the point of being overstimulated. He is like a little child who gets wound up and overtired, and needs to take a quiet time out. It is up to you to put him in his time-out space before he crosses that threshold.

And don't worry - this is pretty normal for a border collie puppy of that age. You can train the "off switch" if you work on it.