BC Boards

What is your daily routine with your Border Collie like?

Hello BC Boards!

I’m a newcomer here, conducting some extended research on a breed I have been interested in ever since the passing of my beloved late Rough Collie. Before going into the meat and potatoes of this thread, I must preface by saying I do understand that the Border Collie and the Rough Collie are similar mostly only in name. However, having loved the Rough Collie, but having often out exercised/ran him, I have naturally become interested in the more athletic variation of this handsome Scotsman!

I have many questions about the breed, but for starters; I was hoping to ask you BC enthusiasts about your daily routine with your dog(s). Being someone who seriously considers bringing a BC into their life, and having always been a person who thrives on and understands life through pretty rigid routines, I figured this would make it easier for me to understand life with a Border Collie. What do you and your best border collie friend(s) do around the clock on a typical day?

Hopefully you don't feel this topic is too broad. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!

Be aware that if you start with a puppy, the daily routine changes a lot depending on age. I had done a lot of research but had sort of expected to have my adult dog daily routine by the time he was about six months old. By that I mean I imagined that we'd be doing nice lead walking round the block once or twice a day, long hikes and runs, sitting outside cafes and watching the world go by etc within a few months of having our puppy but even at ten months old we are a long way from that. Our daily routine was very different at 3 months compared to now at ten months, and I am expecting it to be different again when he is 2 years plus.

So if you are planning to get a puppy then rather than researching how much exercise an adult border collie needs or can tolerate, spend lots of time reading through the threads to see the challenges that people face with their younger dogs or rescue dogs. I hadn't realised before quite how many hours of training had gone into those calm looking border collies that trot nicely off lead by their owners side ignoring traffic and sleep peacefully by their owners feet at cafes and pubs. I believe that I will one day have a dog like that, but hadn't imagined that it would take a couple of years to get there.

Thank you for your considerate reply, @jami74! I truly appreciate the insight. 

Due to my inexperience with the breed, and my prior experience with adopting an adult dog, we are planning to add an adult rescue dog to our family. I should have likely prefaced that as well in my initial message. However, I still find a lot value you in what you're saying here.