BC Boards

12 week old pup

I am just so thankful to have found this forum!!!  Story so far................ we have a gorgeous 12 week old border - Floss she has been with us 3 weeks (seems like months.............)  We did our homework - not first dog had a border/Labrador and a Labrador previously and my OH was brought up around borders.  We knew what to expect!!!!

Its so stressful!!!!!! before I go on lets look at the positives............... goes  happily through the night with no disturbances whatsoever, she has a 'room' and is happy to be in there to chill and when we are not in the house or WE need some time out!! pretty much house trained, the odd mistake here and there, mainly when OH doesn't keep so much of an eye on her if I'm not around or she's been to the door 4 times in the last half an hour - guaranteed its the last time that was important!! Will sit, down and give paw reliably (when not hyped or tired). 

Negatives - nipping, mainly when getting 'past it' and/or over excited, NO just doesn't work, if nipping at feet/ankles stand rock still and eventually she stops - briefly. This is way worse on an evening, seems to build up during the day.  We have started just popping her in her 'room' and generally she will settle/have a nap - but I feel guilty if she has already been there for a couple of fair periods during the day when we are at work (not that it seems to bother her in the slightest)  - I want to spend time with her, but not constantly playing or when trying to settle her being nipped and then barked at. I think the issue is more with me than her........................... :) walks seems to be getting more and more excited, pulling, leaping around and starting to lunge at passing vehicles etc.  nightmare if we pass someone or they are walking behind, other side of the road, in front!! I think maybe the answer with her is to keep the walks very, very short and sweet and just let her explore and investigate in her own time - not treat it as a 'walk'.  

I also think (as was mentioned by someone) there is a lot of Border Collie Hype - I'm maybe expecting her to behave like a lunatic and that these are all border traits when actually when treated consistently they can be as chilled as any other - I've probably over read/over thought the whole thing. I feel that really less exercise the better for her, I love walking which is one of the reasons for getting a dog in the first place again (lost our lab last March) so she will never be cooped up but don't want to be committed to an exercise freak of our own making!

Please advise, general comments really, really welcome - if only to deflate my own stress levels!!  Photo attached of said puppy (don't know why she's stuck to the wall tho!!!).

Liz and Floss x

IMG_0115.jpg

Liz, I could have written this with our puppy Harry who is now 8 months old. During the evenings, ours had the manic time, whereby the 4 adults in our house would leave one by one, eventually just leaving me to handle him. Fortunately from the beginning he did not seem to nip me as much, but my younger son, 22 took the brunt of this as he play fought with him. I did wonder at the time what we had let ourselves in for and went to bed shattered each night and sometimes in tears. Puppy training classes helped with walking on a lead and he now walks well on a harness. Still not perfect yet, when another dog or cat is near he still goes mad to greet them.

Fortunately for us, as well, Harry has never had a problem with going in his crate to sleep. He absolutely hates going in the car and when I get the car keys, he goes straight in his crate, as if to say, I will say here you go.

Whilst out walking we have met many collie owners, past and present who all say, how hard a collie is and that they need a lot of work, they all also say it gets better. This has certainly happened with Harry, he is becoming such a lovely puppy. We only get the occasional nip, and when he gets told off he is sincerely sorry. One thing helped with nipping ankles was to spray them with deodorant, he did not like the smell. He got lots of time outs and has now got the message that biting is not acceptable. He is still extremely lively despite lots of longer walks.

He has settled down a lot in himself, does not follow me around so much and is quite happy watching me do housework, but as soon as my sons come home from work, he is eager for them to play ball and run around with.

Good luck and Floss is adorable.

Mandy and Harry.

Ah thank you Mandy!  Just met our neighbour whilst taking Floss out at lunchtime - they have a 4 year old border bitch.  Calmer now but still has quirks!! she hated going for walks and was petrified of cars - better now and he says she 'tolerates' walks and sees them as a bit of a chore!!!  Better walk today, much shorter with hot dog treats - seems to be the way forward.

We are lucky in that Floss is quite happy in the car, so much so I forget she's there - not so keen on going into the crate in the back but once in settles fine.  They are certainly individual dogs and extremely sensitive - cant seem to be able to just chuck her in at the deep end so to speak, slowly does it!!

another thing is she wont wee or poo anywhere except in our garden (and the house if an accident) an amazing ability to hold on despite much encouragement - is this unusual, also may be a reason for her wanting to get home as quickly as possible!

Its a stressful thing this puppy malarkey and when you read all the horror stories about Border Collies it puts the fear of God in me! but then, lots of people have them successfully and are a popular breed to have - so they cant all be bad!! 

Liz and Floss

There have been several posts very recently dealing with both the nipping problem and the pulling on lead. I suggest you do a search on those topics and read the threads that come up. Basically, pop her into the crate (or room) immediately when she nips. Just do it very neutrally, without comment, and make sure you don't have a punishing attitude and she won't take it as punishment. don't feel guilty. You have to teach her not to do that for her own good and she will learn quickly that nipping means the fun stops and will stop doing it.

Do not let her pull on the leash. Not even one more time. Letting her do that is teaching her that it is OK to pull. When she pulls, turn and go the other direction. When she is walking nicely, praise her and let her go in the direction she wants, or let her sniff. Pulling again, turn and walk the other direction again. Repeat. This may mean your walks are going around in circles and you never get down the block. That is OK. She will learn. Keep your walks short, maybe 10 minutes or 15.  Make sure that you practice with this in a place where those intense distractions like cars and people don't exist. Take her somewhere that you find the fewest possible people or cars - preferably none.  Don't take her to those stressful and overwhelming places until she is walking very nicely on a leash without the distractions. And then, when you do, go back to step one all over again and keep the sessions very short. 5-10 minutes. For more details, look up those recent threads.

Thanks D'elle - yes took our outing today right back - lots of treats and short walk - avoided all but one van in the distance and much less stressful, stopped many times, she sat had treat and carried on - sometimes though she just sets off after a leaf in the breeze - is that pulling or just exuberance? 

If she is pulling on the leash to go after the leaf, it is pulling.  The leash should be either loose and making a loop between you and her collar, or else just lightly taught. So, if she trots after the leash nicely, let her go after it. If she pulls the leash taught and her body is straining ahead and only held back by the leash, that is not to be allowed. It seems a bit mean at times not to allow the leaf-chase. But when walking on the leash leaves can't be chases. That is what back yards are for. :-)

58 minutes ago, Floss said:

Ah thank you Mandy!  Just met our neighbour whilst taking Floss out at lunchtime - they have a 4 year old border bitch.  Calmer now but still has quirks!! she hated going for walks and was petrified of cars - better now and he says she 'tolerates' walks and sees them as a bit of a chore!!!  Better walk today, much shorter with hot dog treats - seems to be the way forward.

We are lucky in that Floss is quite happy in the car, so much so I forget she's there - not so keen on going into the crate in the back but once in settles fine.  They are certainly individual dogs and extremely sensitive - cant seem to be able to just chuck her in at the deep end so to speak, slowly does it!!

another thing is she wont wee or poo anywhere except in our garden (and the house if an accident) an amazing ability to hold on despite much encouragement - is this unusual, also may be a reason for her wanting to get home as quickly as possible!

Its a stressful thing this puppy malarkey and when you read all the horror stories about Border Collies it puts the fear of God in me! but then, lots of people have them successfully and are a popular breed to have - so they cant all be bad!! 

Liz and Floss

I remember Harry would not do any business on walks for a while, then suddenly at the park while on lead, he had to go to poo. Then it was another couple if weeks before he did a wee. He also rushed us home and had to go straight out in the garden. 

Yes, stressful, but worth it.

Sleep sleep sleep!

Don’t feel guilty. Just google how much sleep a dog needs (let alone a puppy) and you’ll feel guilty for not letting them sleep more!

Train an alternative like ‘stand’ and ‘paw’ or ‘Let’s go’ or ‘Find a toy’ so that when they want to instigate play they know what they need to do. 

Enjoy. It gets better! 

An addition to this - super hyper pup this morning nipping in full flow, so confined to barracks half an hour earlier than usual before I leave for work. Can’t predict anything it seems.

this forum is helping no end, please keep the advice coming! 

• 1 year later...