BC Boards

8 month old Harry ran home whilst off lead in park.

So this morning my husband took our boy over to a park which is no more than 2 minutes walk away from our house. It is on a wildlife farm and is not totally secure as it has 2 openings. We have been taking Harry over there for the last 3 months and the last 2 months we have gradually increased the amount of time he is off leash. His recall is very good and we practice all the time. This morning, whilst it was semi light, they entered the park, another dog was there, Harry and the dog said hello and then Harry shot off, ran straight out of the park and ran home. There was no time for my husband to shout for him to come back, as he was gone. Fortunately a friend was walking her collie past our house and knocked on our door to tell me that Harry was on the door step. I quickly rang my husband who was frantic by this stage. 

I know, we will have to leash him in this park now, but my husband is desperately upset.

it is also diffucult to reprimand Harry as he did come home and obviously knows where he lives, but had to cross a road.

i suppose he is still young and learning all the time.

Mandy and Harry.

Our 9 month old went from ‘curiosity but staying close’ to ‘hey - i’m Free - catch me if you can’ at about this age! 

We put him back on his 50’ training line and if we can see he is playing well we sometimes let the end of the line go for a bit. 

It’s a lot easier to grab the end of the line if we see he’s getting distracted than trying to grab a leash. 

I think at this age it’s inevitable. A bit like teenage kids. You can bring them up perfectly but then everything you ever taught them goes out the window (just for a few years) lol! 

As someone said on here yesterday. The dog you have is the dog you have today. We can get very hung up on our own aspirations ;)

Glad he got home safely! 

There would be no need to reprimand this pup - your husband was not able to call him in time and, from what you say, it sounds like he might have been spooked by something (maybe a sound that your husband could not hear) and headed straight home where he felt safe and secure. It does sound like he needs to be leashed, and many owners don't let a youngster off-leash (unless in a confined area that is safe) until at least a year of age and totally dependable on recall. And, depending on circumstances, a dependable recall *can* fail, so it's good to have the leash option. 

One way to play is to have a long line, a lead that is 30' or 50' in length. The pup can play and wander a lot but he can't leave, blow you off, run off, etc. This does not work, of course, in a wooded or brushy area but is great where it's grassy or like a hay field. 

Your pup is definitely an adolescent and sometimes pups that are *so good* when younger, seem to turn into totally untrained, "I can't hear you" hellions at this age, but this, too, will pass. 

Never, ever reprimand a dog that comes home or comes to you. He will associate returning home or to you with the scolding, not with the fact that he did not listen or ran off earlier. I know it can be hard but once he's back, he should be praised as you already know. 

Scary experience but no one got hurt, and a lesson was learned. There are fun things your husband and he can do on leash (walks, training, sniffing, even ball games and fetch, but gently as he's still young and growing) and before you know it, he will be an adult and will have earned more freedom. 

Best wishes!