BC Boards

Genetic Question

Smokjbc

Hello,

This is just something I've tossed around lately, not directly relating to anything smile.gif.

If you have two bitches who are full siblings, both of good working ability but different in many working characteristics- and you put either of them with the same dog that seems to compliment either (confused yet?)- are you basically breeding the same set of genes to that dog? Or, will the different traits be stronger in the bitch that shows them the most? Say one of the bitches is loose eyed, and one moderate eyed- are you going to have the same results (statistically speaking) if you put either of these full sisters to the same dog? Or will the moderate eye bitch be more likely to pass on stronger eye and the other traits it exhibits more than the sister? I was discussing this with a friend and thought maybe it would be an interesting topic for the board.

OK

Each offspring gets one of each pair, like a left or a right, for every genetic section of the gene pool for a parent. Theoretically, siblings could actually have completely separate sets of genes,but this would assume that there were no dupkicate pairs in the parent, and that is not possible. So the siblings have many similar genes from each parent with endless combinations possible. There are not many guarantees except for known gene sections such as dominant, recessive, polymorphic, etc. And then there are the mistakes(mutations) that mess things up even more.

Sometimes it is experience and perception of the oldtimers that can tell us more than playing around to try to guess the genetics of trait inheritance.

[This message has been edited by trailrider (edited 11-07-2002).]

I don't breed dogs but I imagine it would be the same as with the goats.

The similarities between the offspring of the twins (or triplets) directly depended on how much line breeding had been done along the way. Line breeding would solidify certain traits by making them more likely to be dominant.

The more the line breeding the tighter your gene pool. So in theory the genetic make up of each animal would be that much closer.

By introducing an outcross you add a whole new dimension and will pull out different traits depending on how tight the genetics are on the sire.

If both the sire and dam are products of outcrosses themselves, the offspring could turn out any number of ways.

Guest PrairieFire

Interesting.

I think the problem with this type of posed scenario is simply that "it depends"...

I'm one of those folks that beleives that very little of "working ability" can be found in the genes...(read on before thinking I'm saying that breeding doesn't matter)...

Clarifying that, I don't think we will ever isolate a "loose eyed" gene and be able to implant it in a pup from "strong eyed" parents...

I went on and on about "instinct" being a black box cure-all for lazy scientists (with tunnel vision) in a thread about a year ago - and also stated my opinion that genes can't "learn" behaviour...therefore deciding (I think that I think) that much of "working behaviour" is genetically programmed only as "ability to learn a certain task at a certain level" rather than "a direct expression of a certain task"...

DNA is, I guess, rather straightforward, RNA less so, and conditioning/learning/behaviour about as straightforward as this post...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

[This message has been edited by PrairieFire (edited 11-08-2002).]