BC Boards

Ticks on a snake

Lawgirl

I am very far from being a fan of 'nope ropes', especially living in Australia, where we have more than our fair share of the most dangerous ones, but even I felt sorry for this one.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-14/nike-the-carpet-python-riddled-with-ticks-recovering/10711112

He was apparently named Nike after the tick shape in the Nike brand (what Americans call a check sign). 

That's so sad. I am a big fan of snakes. It is nice that it was able to get help. Last year we found one in a city park that had apparently become stuck in bird netting earlier in life and was terribly constricted with the netting embedded in the skin. We were able to cut it off and the snake was probably okay after the nasty wound healed up.

• 1 month later...

@Lawgirl, @GentleLake-

had no idea that ticks like snakes! I had heard of the moose affectation.

This account from a year ago hits close to home for herders-

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/02/27/588408433/asian-ticks-mysteriously-turned-up-on-a-new-jersey-sheep

It‘s scary to think about the scourge we could be seeing in the next few years due to their ability to reproduce asexually.

I know that in America you have ticks that carry Lyme disease, but proving the theory that everything in Australia is trying to kill you, you need to Google paralysis ticks.  I may have mentioned them on another thread before.  Trust me when I say that you do not want any of them showing up in your country.

12 hours ago, GentleLake said:

Yikes!

Y'know, I really feel sorry for the younger folks who'll be inheriting the mess we've created.

@GentleLake- I guess that would be topic for debate... I just don’t think civilization is necessarily the sole causative factor, IMHO.

The moose situation, for instance- if they eliminate more moose to control the problem, the ticks will just feed on another species :(