BC Boards

H.O.D

ronmar

good day to all you border collie owners and other dogs of your choice out there.the first day i recieved my b.c pup was the summer of this year from a respected breeder in the area placed by an add in the A.B.C.A

So i knew this was a good place to buy the dog and it was until one day i noticed something very unusal about the way she began to walk her back legs where wobbleing like they were week, I thought perhaps it was just because she was a pup and there a little clumsy when they walk and run and so i just brush it off as that.the following morning i opened the door to her create to let her out and she just lied there like she was still tired so i left the door open so when she made up her to leave she would but an hour went by so i went back to the create and she was still laying down so i called her to come out of the create and she still was unresponsive i piced her up and she began to cry but still i removed from her create and placed her on the floor and she just went down on her belly.So i called the vet he told me to bring her for a check so i did they ran a series of test on her blood and took xrays of her legs thinking she may have pulled something the doctor came in the room after he recieved the report on the blood work and said that everything looks o.k except for a mild case of a low red blood which can be taken care of with a vitamin supplement and the took her temperture was running about 104 a slight high ,he said lets take her out side to see what she will do in the grass when i placed her on the grass the results was the same as before she didn't want to walk the vet said so h prescribed antibotics thinking she may have been bittin by the family cat and said we will see what will happen in the morning he told me to take her home and that night her fever shot up to an 106 i placed cold towels and dunked her a tub of cold water and all night process of a fever moving up and down.well when the vet open the next morning i called and told him what happend he said bring her in so they kept her for the day and did more blood work on her we took her home that afternoon and she was still very sick and not able to walk three days later the doctor called and told us he recieved the blood work back from the U.T.C

COLLEGE showing positve signs of H.O.D i said what is that he explained that it is a rare form of bone disorder and it use to show up in great danes there is no cure for this but can be treated with aspirin and antiflamatory medication to reduce the pain. he said it can take between one to several weeks to walk he doesn't know three days later she started walking.we brought back to the vet he said she is in fine shape now but he said that this can have a recurance up till she is one year of age.she back to her self running and playing and driving the cat out of his mind.but we wonder when this is going to come back .we take one day at a time only to hope that we don't have to go through this again.

Sorry to hear about your pup, but I appreciate your posting this, since I have never heard of HOD in a border collie before.

I'm sure your vet has told you to discontinue the vitamin supplement? Overnutrition and vitamin/mineral supplementation, especially calcium, are suspected as contributing to HOD.

Good luck!

Good morning and i thank you for your response to my problem, first to answer your question about lowering the nutrition intake the vet has put her on a large breed for puppies (science diet)food.she was on a little puppy science diet food before this started happing.and the reason for him to changing the food is because of the high nutrion in the small puppy food .so far i noticed her front legs are getting stronger and not as thin as before.so hopefully she will not have recurance of this terrible disease.i would like to know your input in what do you think of this food and is there a better food product out there? this is my first border collie and i'm not sure of the required food for her. mind you i don't work her she is a house dog and she plays outside with me when i get home from work for about three hours a day.if your wonder why i got border collie i've always been fascatated by there high intelegents and loyalabilty since i was a child.Recently i've just had the opertunity to own one and i don't regret it.

Guest PrairieFire

ronmar -

There have been a TON of threads on food on this bulletin board...you could use the search engine and probably find more info than you could ever want.

Generally, you'll find that most of the "working dog" folks feed relatively low protien and higher fat - say 21% P, 16% F - even to our pups.

For some time, anecdotal information has led many to not buy into the hype of the feed companies for puppy food, and "hipro" for the endurance dogs; and now there are many vets buying into this theory as well...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Like Bill I'm a believer in feeding adult dog food by the time a pup is the age of yours. I think the puppy foods stimulate too rapid growth, which is hard on developing bones and joints. The large breed puppy foods are better than the all breed puppy foods, just because manufacturers have begun to respond to this problem for the big breeds (which have the most joint problems), but I'm happy to see my pups growing more slowly on adult food.

But if you check the earlier discussions we've had about food on these boards, you'll find that people have all different opinions, and have had pups who thrived on every type of feeding regimen.

I'm glad your pup is doing well, and I hope all her HOD problems are over.

What I always reminded people who adopted pups was, don't forget this breed was basically raised on porridge and maybe milk or cheese and the occaisional bone. I think their systems are still geared toward optimum performance on "crap food". (c:

------------------

Rebecca

Brook Cove Farm, NC

Ha!

Maybe a "crap food" to us but it is gourmet to the dogs.

I'll second everyone's opinion on puppy chows,feed a well balance adult dog food to avoid that cute,chubby puppy syndrome where most dog owners thinks it's the healthy way to go and worries endlessly about their pup/dogs being too skinny or picky about their food.

Your dog may reach the adult size behind his littermates but sure will be much healthier animal in a long run.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net