BC Boards

What's FHO?

nancy

What does FHO stand for - and what is the procedure?

I tried a search of the archives for FHO. It brought up several threads, but "Find" then couldn't find FHO in those threads. And I couldn't find it in that online Merck vet manual.

But my computer world has been totally wonky this week-end. Anyhow, I'd love to know, jsut in case.

FHO stands for Femoral Head Ostectomy. When the hip is out of socket with little or no chance of a successful reduction, or damaged by something else, the Vet can go in and actually amputate the top(ball shaped section) of the femur. Then the body will form a sort of "false joint". It's very painful for a few days but eventually they get along well with an FHO.

Jae goes in first thing in the morning for hers to be done. It's going to be a long day here...

Lydia

Thanks for the info. I know this was discussed here some time ago. I just couldn't find it.

I think I'll start myself a file of this kind of info - just in case. And I mean printed, so it won't "go down".

This particular surgery is sometimes referred to as a femoral neck excision too. Try going to petsurgery.com and then following the links to orthopedic surgeries. There should be a description of the procedure there also.

------------------

Kathy Flynn, CVT

Sogn Valley Farm and Border Collies

Cannon Falls, MN

507-263-4767