BC Boards

How long after eating?

Guest Charles Torre

Guest Charles Torre

When I was young I was told that if I ate and then went swimming I would surely die, and any other physical exercise right after eating would likely turn me into a vegetable.

(Go ahead; it's a perfect straight line.)

So my question is:

Is it best to refrain from working a dog for some period of time after the dog is fed? If so, how long?

I always try to avoid feeding my dogs just before I might expect to work them. But, occasionally, this doesn't work. ("What's that ewe doing in the Jones's garage?")

Thanks.

charlie

Charlie,

its my understanding that you can greatly increase the risk of bloat by allowing the dog to exercise excessively after eating.

the dog's belly is already full of food, and the increased panting adds air to help "blow up" the belly and the running contributes to the twisting, or torsion...

and I'm sure that you already know bloat is an immediate, life-threatening emergency requiring veterinary intervention..

generally speaking, bloat is most common in large, deep chested breeds - some of which will bloat simply by eating too large of a meal - no exercise involved. running any dog excessively after eating (unless in case of an unforeseen need, in which case I'd say get the job done as quickly as possible and put the dog up) but otherwise, is asking for trouble.

that said, I have fed my dog as much as 4 hrs before working, and had her throw up mostly undigested food after herding. I have since taken to feeding her her "main meal" at bedtime, so it has the longest time to digest, and I give her about 1/3 C kibble in the morning - mostly because she is jealous of my senior dog who has to have 2 meals a day...and she wants to eat, too!

Just my thoughts...

Janet

Charlie,

As Janet said the big worry would be bloat..Plus on a full stomach you tend to be a bit more sluggish. (Though with my one dog sluggish might be a good thing.)

I always try to wait at least an hour before and after working. Also like Janet I feed my big meal in the evening.

>>>When I was young I was told that if I ate and then went swimming I would surely die, and any other physical exercise right after eating would likely turn me into a vegetable.

(Go ahead; it's a perfect straight line.)<<<

Old wives tales. Although what you eat makes a difference,refined sugars or pastas are a big no-no.

I feed all my dogs in the evening but slip a Met-RX,peanut butter flavoured piece to those who are required to put in a good day's work.

I don't know if there are any athletes diet site on the web,maybe Google could give you some sites. Read about the diet and it's effect in the brain and muscles prior to strenuous exercises.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net

Guest PairDogx1.5

That's funny Charlie, it brings to mind ALOT of things we were told as kids -- things that would make you blind, stunt your growth, etc.

I have to say that as an athlete (when I was younger), I found that it was good advice to not eat too close before practice or game, at least 2 hours, 3 probably better. If you make it too long though, you can run out of gas. On the other hand, small high-energy snacks didn't seem too bothersome, even an hour before.

We had another rule that was good advice, but I don't know if it applies to dogs -- no swimming on game day. Like I say, it was definitely a good rule, but I'm not sure why. Maybe it was just the chlorine in your eyes made it hard to catch up with the fastball. But maybe it was also that you felt heavier out of the water -- like when you jump on a trampoline and then get off and try to jump. Remember, 90% of the game is half mental (Y. Berra).

As far as eating before swimming, for me it causes minor stomach cramps.

I don?t know how closely this relates, but my two teenage boys are high school crosscountry runners. On race days they eat a normal breakfast (dry cereal and milk) only half their lunch (half a sandwich) and nothing but water until after the race which is ~4 - 5pm, after school. If they eat anything more throughout the day, spectators at the finish line will be able to see what had been in their stomachs. Several years ago a new kid on the team threw up after every race at the beginning of the season. Finally the coach discovered that his mother insisted he eat a high energy bar after school and before the race. When he quit eating energy bars in the afternoon, he quit throwing up at the finish line.

Mary

St. Louis

There is no firm consensus on what actually causes gastric dilitation (bloat) & volvulus (twisting of the stomach) - also referred to as GDV. Excessive playing or activity immediately following is thought by many veterinarians to play a role in GDV.

Many of the veterinarians I know, especially those who also board dogs, commonly restrict exercise after a meal. For the breeds more commonly affected, they even hold water for one hour before and after exercise.

Have ever seen a dog with bloat or with volvulus? Sheperded it into surgery? Monitored the patient and noted the heart irregularities that can occur intraoperatively and post-op, and despite the early intervention and the best of care watched a dog die becasue of it? Have you ever sat with the owners after the bad news was broken?

If you have, or if you have lost your own dog to GDV, then restricting activity for an hour after a meal seems like a small price to pay to keep your companion / best hired hand healthy.

Or, if you just want to look at the dollar and sense equation: surgical intervention is $1200-$1500 (minimum around here) - and a live dog is not guaranteed.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to venture out into the sleet and check the sheep...imagine...October and sleet in south central PA...

Deb

IPF

Like Deb,I wouldn't want to take the chance to find out whether the dog could exercise after eating or not.

As for humans,I use to swim and compete in 25km long distance and if we didn't eat or drink our food when we were told when and where,our world or at least mine went very grey very fast. Between the muscles and brain fighting over nutritient,we had to eat or rather drink our food between strokes. They could always tell when a swimmer was beginning to shut down,we started to stray away from the engine noise which we supposed to be tuned and keep up with.

------------------

Inci Willard

Clearville,PA

814-784-3414

ikw@pennswoods.net