BC Boards

Oils

Britta

In a recent discussion reg. dog food, an article of Denises' which discussed the feed value of oils as a good way of adding calories without upping the protein levels came up.

I'd like to know which oils would be suitable for this use in dogs.

I've found loads of info for this in horse-feedstores but doubt that what is ideal make up for one will suit the other?

One product i was looking at states that it is 'A blend of superior marine and vegetable oils', and mentions that 'The two types, Omega-6 and Omega-3 oils must be present in the diet in the correct balance for good health. These fatty acids include Linolenic Acid, EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) which are well known for their role in the support of a healthy immune system, skin and joints, reproductive system and performance.'

As said this is a product for horses and is not duplicated in this companies 'canine' section...

Other than Cod-Liver Oil which i have sometimes added for both species, which oils are suitable for dogs?

Thanks for any replies

Britta

Guest PrairieFire

Hey Britta -

I just use regular old vegetable cooking oil - a tablespoon or so, occasionally - in the winter when things are really dry...or when I don't think the dogs are getting enough fat...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

[This message has been edited by PrairieFire (edited 10-16-2002).]

A holistic vet recommended that I use safflower or sunflower oil for my dogs. The aggravating thing about that is that you can't find those oils in large quantities like you can regular vegetable oils. This same vet also recommended feeding fish (like canned mackerel) on occasion (once every week or two) to get the omega fatty acids. Incidentally, my dogs love the mackerel!

I suspect that specialty oils made for horses or other animals will just cost you a whole lot more for no real added benefit.

J.

Thanks Bill & Julie.

I do give them a tin of oily fish on their food every now and again too & the love it.

Jess is doing a lot of miles with me at the moment, and she tends to loose weight when it comes into a new season anyway. Ican't get her to eat more than 2x3/4 cups of Science diet a day however hard i try and she's not the dog that does well on working food due to her temperament.

The horse oil was cheap enough as the quantity is so large it would last a long time!

Thanks

Britta

(How about linseed or rapeseed oil?)

Curious that you should ask this question just now! I just read (in a book by Christine Zink,DVM) about the ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6. Right at the moment, I can't remember which is which, but I think it's 5:1, in the order as I've written it.

I am feeding a raw diet, and had read that for a regular source of nutrients (not just added fat for those that need it), that safflower or sunflower oil are best. I add about 1 T. safflower oil to each dog's twice-daily meal. I also add about 1 t. of flax seed oil (this stuff is fairly high in calories!). The flax oil labels tells the ratio of Omega 3 to 6, and curiously, it's just about opposite the recommended ratio! However, the safflower oil label does not mention this. There are other sources of both oils, so I'm somewhat confused about how much of which oil to give! I'll keep researching, but maybe someone else here has some ideas on this. (I'm sure there are a minimum of 14 web sites with the info....but no time to look....).

diane

Guest PrairieFire

Hey Britta -

When we were, by necissity (Craig was laid up with a dislocated knee from a bad handler call with the feedlot calves), working my wife's Beth too hard (no other dogs at the time), I decided to try little tins of sardines - and that was quite a hit...letting her snack on the sardines and then pouring the oil on her food kept her wieght and condition fairly well even under hard circumstances...

Diane - I know you are being very careful to get nutrients correct, etc., in your efforts to feed that way, and that is a good thing - I think the method may have merits when it is followed very carefully and correctly - but the head Animal Nutritionist at the University of Minnesota Veterinary Teaching hospitals is quoted in our newspaper with the statement, "The raw diet KILLS dogs. Period."

When you read more, her concerns are the consistency and ability of many folks to do it all properly - and the consequences when they don't.

I didn't take it as a condemnation of those diets - just a warning to do it all right...

------------------

Bill Gary

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

[This message has been edited by PrairieFire (edited 10-17-2002).]

Thanks, Bill - I think. (You were saying that I was being careful and consistent in my feeding, with lots of research - did I get that right? I sure try! E.g., trying to figure out the appropriate ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6....and I DID have it backwards! More work on that subject to come.)

I've never read anything quite so "damning" about raw diets, though there are certainly opponents with good reasons. I don't believe that most raw-diet feeders could KILL a dog. OK, maybe the greyhounds that they feed spoiled, rotten meat and nothing else to could.... And OK, for those that are more likely to have meat laden with bacteria. (I know, that could be anyone....CARE is the key here!)

But certainly it does take a bunch of research and care. I find myself getting in a "rut" of feeding the same readily available things over and over - while mentally trying to provide as much variety as possible. I was talking to someone the other day about my border-line collie who has plumped up over the summer (now talk about a way to kill a dog!) - and its usually winter when she gains a few pounds - and canned pumpkin was mentioned. I helped my big mixed-breed lose weight on this a number of years ago, but had simply forgotten about it! I'd been trying to use "fresh" vegetables, and hadn't thought much about canned. This is one good canned product! So, I used some, and of course, she loves it. Great fiber too.

I think more folks are starting a homemade diet - but cooking the meat. The raw meat seems to be the biggest objection for many folks. There are even commercially available all-vegetarian "natural" diets available now!

So - while the raw diet is a pain (both time and research-wise) and expensive - its my choice. Thanks, Bill, for posting the warning - may others take it to heart!

diane

Diane Allen,

Canned pumpkin is very good but now that it is fall try to get whole pumpkins. That is what I do. I buy several in the fall and cut them up. I scoop the seeds out and make the slices about 2 inches wide by about 3-4 inches long. Then I freeze them. I give my dog one or two a day either in her food or as a treat. She loves it and freezing it makes it last longer. Works great to fill her tummy but not add extra calories.

Olivia

I feed raw,I've been to seminars on it and don't take the Mpls.StarTribune seriously as they are one minded.The article you brought up Bill was narrow minded.They were supposed to interview raw feeding owners and vets who do believe in it and end with an announcement of an upcoming seminar for feeding fresh foods but left all that out.For oils I supplement with Salmon Oil and Vit.E to provide the Omegas and did notice a differance.You can try the cheap route and give Cannola or Safflower oil but any oil yo give has to be supplemented with Vit.E.Salmon or fish oil provides the best Omegas but must be supplemented with Vit.E so it doesn't go rancid in the body.And frankly since I went raw and noticed a huge differance in my dogs,I ignore controversal articles that don't give both sides.

Sue Barta

BartasBorders

Guest PrairieFire

As I said, Sue, it appeared to be more of a warning to all the half-hearted folks out there who start something and just don't keep it up properly...

However, I also guess I don't consider the Chief Animal Nutritionist at the U of MN chopped liver either...although I argue with the animal nutritionists myself...

Just information presented in an attempt to cover both sides and not be narrow minded or rather, "one minded"...

------------------

Bill Gary

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Yes,Bill the controversy of raw feeding or what I tell people is that you need to research it and learn alot first and not go at it half ass.I was just bringing up the StarTribune article because it just seemed typical of them to only report what they want.Earlier this summer I had suggested to Dr.Lew Olson-PHD in Nutrition from Texas) that to really promote her Sept.seminar,maybe announce something in the paper here.That's why they had the article in July and were supposed to interview BOTH sides and announce the seminar for those interested in attending.But like hubby Mike says-the paper is mafia type/family type onesided.Yes the raw diet is controversal,many vets poo poo it only because they don't do it,don't understand it and yes you can't do it half heartedly.Last year I tried it for a few months and like many new beginners thought it was a pain and went back to kibble(Diamond).On kibble I immediately saw the bad effects(body odor,dry coats,stinky poo).So I went back this summer and will never go kibble again.My dogs actually digest their foods(obvious in small dry stools,soft shiny coats).I learned alot at the seminar and loosened up and it's never a pain or chore.Just routine.I even weened last two litters on raw and have a few owners hooked on it.There is a few more seminars up here if you are curious.

Sue Barta

BartasBorders

Rogers,MN

Guest PrairieFire

Thanks for the offer, Sue, but I've got the little doggies pawing through the snow, foraging for freeze-dried kibble stalk gleanings...

------------------

Bill Gary

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com