BC Boards

severe dry skin

starfall

I just got my first Border Collie puppy yesterday. He is only 6 weeks old and has very dry skin. He is constantly scratching and has scabs all over. I tried a medicted shampoo and he has a vet appointment for a puppy check up on friday. I know it hurts him and he is whining alot because of it(I was up with him all night). I was hoping someone would have any suggestions on what I could do for him now. Thanks.

I'd sure be trying to get to a vet before several more days passed. Why on earth (OK, I'm trying to be kind and understanding here...there might be some good reasons) do you have a 6 week old pup? That is TOO young to be away from siblings and mother.

And WHO in their right mind would flea dip a pup that young?!? Is this a normal deal? I can't imagine "flea dipping" any dog - I know they're awful, but what terrible poisons to inflict on such a young dog.

Get thee to a vet immediately!! (OK, it's probably not life-threatening item here...)

Hope all turns out well. Take good care o' the little guy.

diane

The breeder told me he was ready to leave the litter and some of the litter mates were already gone. Also it was the breeder who gave him the flea dip and told me to get a medicated shampoo for him. This was suppost to be a reputable breeder. I do have a vet appointment for him tomorrow. I was just hoping there was something I could do to help releave some of the itching before that. I feel sorry for the little guy, I know this is driving him nuts.

The reason for that itch could be so many things and depending on what it is he will need a different treatment to get any relief.

If it is allergies, rare in one so young, or a reaction to the dip, or any kind of mange, or ringworm (a fungus, not a worm), or who knows what, it will be treated differently.

Generally, without knowing the condition you are treating, a bath with an oatmeal based shampoo and conditioner labeled for ppuppies will give some relief.

Some conditions are contagious, like ringworm or sarcoptic mange, so you need to keep other animals and people away.

Confine him until you have a diagnosis and keep everything clean and separate from others.

It is probably a reaction to the dip but it pays to be cautious.

[This message has been edited by Cholla1 (edited 10-10-2002).]

Ditto to what everyone has said, but I also have a problem with dry skin in both my kids. Darby's worse than Kate, and his coat is drier. I don't use any medicated shampoo on them, it's too harsh. I use garlic on their food and tea tree oil for pest control, and add olive oil or avocado to their kibble to keep their skin soft. His tummy may be too young and sensitive for that right now, but it's a good remedy for when they're older. It's probably an allergic reaction to all the chemicals his baby skin has been exposed to.

My dog was very itchy as a pup. When you petted her flakes would surface til it looked like she had been snowed on. Not pretty. I started adding a tablespoon of canned mackrel (the fish) in its own oil to her dinner every day. Helped tremendously. As she has gotten older her dry skin has improved and she no longer needs supplements so your pup might also improve with age if it is just dry skin.

Good luck at the vets.

Olivia

Well we took Logan (our puppy) to the vet and what she told me was horrible. He was covered in doggie lice. ewwww! Poor thing was being sucked dry by them. I was so angry with the breeder that I needed a day to calm down before I could post here. I have contacted him and gave him quite an earfull(not that it will do any good). The vet told me the conditions he was living in must have been terrible. I know our puppy will get the care he needs but I am concerned about the other puppies. Well, thanks for all the help, by the way, he was treated with Revolution. I saw another post on here that said it might be bad, lets hope not!

At least lice are easier to get rid of than sarcoptic mange!! I'm curious though, were they alive after the "flea dip" the breeder did?? 'Cause if she really dipped the puppy with a pyrethrin product it would have killed those little pests.

And Diane, yes it is common practice to dip pups (or spray them) with a pyrethrin based product. I much prefer to use Advantage on the mother and then on the pups after weaning but it was not always available.

Lydia

Olivia, I wrote down what you mentioned in your post. I just have a question, do you use garlic cloves, salt or powder on the food? I'd like to give this a try because Boston's skin seems to be reverting back to the dry, flaky, itchy, hot spots that she had prior to the nutro dog food. after we changed her over (6 months ago) she did really well, but now it's getting worse. her hair is falling out all over the place and she's itching like mad. even growling and rolling around on the floor to rub her back on the carpet.

------------------

~Dum Vivimus, Vivamus~

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.