BC Boards

Puppy with CHD & getting a 2nd dog

Hello. My BC puppy (8 months) has recently been diagnosed with CHD in both hips. I had been planning on getting another BC once he turned at least 2 years old but now that I know that he's got pretty bad hips I've been thinking about getting a less active, low-energy breed. I've also thought about adopting an adult dog, though that may be a bit more challenging. Which breeds would you guys recommend? And is getting a 2nd dog even a good idea? I have no prior experience with hip dysplasia, would they even be able to play? :( 

Thank you in advance! 

I'm always torn on these types of things, let the dog live and do what it can for now even if it isn't the best for it or put it in a "bubble" to extend its life.  I think I would want to live and romp and be free even if it meant less years on this planet.  Will/can your dog still play?  Does it like playing with other dogs in its current state?

Sorry, I don't have much help to offer but they do make doggy wheelchairs and it's a game changer!  Life can continue.

20181111_104730.jpg

Rusty is never left out of the fun!  He has two border collies brothers.  ...the giant schnauzer is one of the BC's girlfriends, lol

20181013_165542.jpg

Aidan, I'm sorry for your dog's diagnosis. How affected is he by the HD? 

I'd take my questions to the vet that diagnosed him. If he's going to be seriously limited, check around your area for a vet who does rehabilitation. If you live near a major urban/suburban center, chances are better for that. If you live near a university that has a veterinary school, that would be good also.   And by near, I mean within an hour's drive or so.  Your veterinarian might be able to guide you in this.

I hope you find some answers.

Ruth & Gibbs

What Ruth said.  And the "how affected" is VERY important.

I had a pup dx with hip dysplasia at 13 months. He was average size, and it was only discovered at the time he was neutered, and we were checking growth plates.  Frankly, his hips are pretty bad!  But:  after much research and discussion, I decided NOT to do surgery (which you might ask about).  But I've kept him lean, in good condition (lots of hiking, some swimming, and some conditioning with exercise equipment as he got older).  And he is STILL, at age 12.5 yr, running in agility!  He rarely acts sore after longer hikes or agility weekends, and when he does, it's usually his front end that's stiff.  He has had a few other minor issues common to agility dogs (bicep tendonitis, mild strained iliopsoas); and now he has some minor spondylosis in his lower back.  I think some activity and a lean weight are the most important.  good luck.

diane

Thank you for the lovely pictures, Ranger. I'm glad Rusty is still able to have fun with his friends. They look like a happy bunch! 

Aidan, I'm sorry for your dog's diagnosis. How affected is he by the HD? 

I'd take my questions to the vet that diagnosed him. If he's going to be seriously limited, check around your area for a vet who does rehabilitation. If you live near a major urban/suburban center, chances are better for that. If you live near a university that has a veterinary school, that would be good also.   And by near, I mean within an hour's drive or so.  Your veterinarian might be able to guide you in this.

He has shown some difficulty and reluctance rising and he has a wonky gait. Very unsteady hind legs. His right hip is very noisy and he's limped once before but he's still very active and he really loves to play with other dogs (part of the reason why I wanted to get another dog, I'll ask the veterinarian about it). And I actually did find a physical therapist who works with BCs and I'm hoping she'll be able to help us. :)

I had a pup dx with hip dysplasia at 13 months. He was average size, and it was only discovered at the time he was neutered, and we were checking growth plates.  Frankly, his hips are pretty bad!  But:  after much research and discussion, I decided NOT to do surgery (which you might ask about).  But I've kept him lean, in good condition (lots of hiking, some swimming, and some conditioning with exercise equipment as he got older).  And he is STILL, at age 12.5 yr, running in agility!  He rarely acts sore after longer hikes or agility weekends, and when he does, it's usually his front end that's stiff.  He has had a few other minor issues common to agility dogs (bicep tendonitis, mild strained iliopsoas); and now he has some minor spondylosis in his lower back.  I think some activity and a lean weight are the most important.  good luck.

I'm very happy to hear that your pup's still doing so well!  Finn's hips are pretty bad as well and I genuinely thought surgery was the only real option we had at this point. I'm definitely going to keep him lean and as active as possible. Thank you for your comment, it helped to ease my mind a little bit. 

I have four BCs, and the youngest one has been diagnosed with bilateral HD.  He came to us when he was around 11 months old.  Both the ball and cup of the joint is badly deformed on both sides.  He gets sardines with every meal, and was placed on a regimen of injections (cartrophen) to supplement synovial fluid around his joints which made an immediate and amazing improvement.  We aim to control his weight but otherwise allow him to be a dog with his fellow dogs.  He still runs around with the other dogs (which is only 4 or 5 times a week) but at his own pace, and he stops when he wants to.

Bilateral hip replacement is the only other option, but we are not convinced it is the best option for him.  We are managing his condition conservatively (as if he had arthritis) and he has a good quality of life.  As he gets older, we can and will be more aggressive with supplements such as golden paste/fish oil etc and increased frequency of injections but he is doing well as is for now.

I hope things go well for you with your dog.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2018 at 6:15 PM, diane allen said:

What Ruth said.  And the "how affected" is VERY important.

diane

Why not?

billdozer:  Sorry, I'm not following.  Why not - what?  (directed at me or the OP?)

If "why not" didn't I do surgery:  he was nearly past the age that the appropriate surgery could've been done. I talked with several veterinarians who had either done the surgery or had seen other dogs who had it done, and their agility career was cut quite short.  So, while I surely questioned my decision at the time, I'm sooooo glad I didn't do it then!

If that's not your question....??

diane