BC Boards

Indestructible dog beds and teddies

Young Ben likes to destroy toys and beds. It’s a shame as he likes to cuddle the large teddies and sleep on them but eventually he’ll just wreck them. He’s had a few ones from the Disney Store. Big Eeyores, things like that. But they usually last a few weeks and then are gone. 

As for beds, well he likes to sit on the floor in the kitchen and look out the patio doors, it’s a tiled floor so it’s better if he has something a bit warmer to lie on. However if we go to the store and buy him a bed it only lasts a few days. 

I’d like recommendations on both things please. The main thing we need is a really hard wearing bed for Ben that he can’t get his teeth through. We are in the UK but we do have Amazon.co.uk so US posters feel free to recommend from Amazon as there’s a chance items could also be in their UK site also. Thanks in advance! 

Afraid I had the same problem with beds. You can get bite proof beds on line but I have not tried this yet. My dog would only ruin his bed when he was left alone during the day time and never at night. Is your dog in a pen or cage? My dog is now almost 8 months old and no longer has a soft bed. It took 3 destroyed beds before I gave up and took the advise of many people on these boards and gave up buying new beds. Now he has an old blanket and an old sweater in his cage which he occasionally chews but really it doesn't matter. He seems quite happy to sleep without a comfy bed and maybe one day when he is a little older and wiser he can have another go at a bed.

As for the teddies and toys I kind of view them as something I expect to be chewed. Only thing is be careful with the stuffing in the teddies as he will swallow what he gets out. He doesn't have any at the moment and is quite happy playing with rubber chew toys.

Good luck.

Brian

Same here, our Harry is nearly 7 months old. When he was around 12 to 14 weeks, he went through a spell of soiling his bedding each night for 4 nights running so we took away his comfy bedding and just put a blanket in his crate. He has been fine with this for a while now and when I have tried to put in another thicker bed he just takes it out and tries to rip it up.

Virtually all his soft toys have been chewed to bits along with 4 pairs of my slippers, which were only cheap ones.

I did buy from a range of tougher toys a tyre from Petsathome, this has stayed in one piece. I do supervise him with everything. He has exteme nylon bones which he really enjoys.

I didn't see any beds listed on at Petsathome in the UK that looked particularly chew resistant.  You might try this link https://k9ballistics.com/chew-proof/

I have a bed similar to the rectangular cushion one they show (the one I had came from Foster and Smith but they apparently don't sell it anymore), and it's held up well for a dog that loves to eviscerate any toy/pillow/cushion with any stuffing.   I'm not sure it would survive a really determined chewer, but it works great for my dog that went through several more conventional beds.  The cot that k9ballistics sells looks about as indestructible as you could get.

55 minutes ago, Hooper2 said:

I didn't see any beds listed on at Petsathome in the UK that looked particularly chew resistant.  You might try this link https://k9ballistics.com/chew-proof/

I have a bed similar to the rectangular cushion one they show (the one I had came from Foster and Smith but they apparently don't sell it anymore), and it's held up well for a dog that loves to eviscerate any toy/pillow/cushion with any stuffing.   I'm not sure it would survive a really determined chewer, but it works great for my dog that went through several more conventional beds.  The cot that k9ballistics sells looks about as indestructible as you could get.

They look good. But that company doesn’t sell their products here unfortunately. 

He does have a crate, but the door isn’t shut ever. He sleeps in it at night then, and for short periods in the daytime. In the day he’s mostly looking out the window and playing with his toys. I have a camera so I can see what he does. 

I would say he doesn’t really ruin beds out of boredom as he even does it when he’s sat with us and getting loads of attention. He goes for corners, and seams. Just because he can really, and I imagine it’s enjoyable. 

Same for us. He got old blankets until he reigned back on the chewing. He’s 8 months now and when he does try chewing on his bed or a rug (which has now been put back down) he responds to ‘leave it’. 

During the day his crate is unlined but it’s plastic and warm and he’s not in it much. When he’s ready to settle for the night I put a wool pad in his crate. 

At this age we’ve noticed he has much less need to chew although he enjoys a beef knuckle in the evening and a variety of toys with different textures. 

23 hours ago, ShellyF said:

Same for us. He got old blankets until he reigned back on the chewing. He’s 8 months now and when he does try chewing on his bed or a rug (which has now been put back down) he responds to ‘leave it’. 

During the day his crate is unlined but it’s plastic and warm and he’s not in it much. When he’s ready to settle for the night I put a wool pad in his crate. 

At this age we’ve noticed he has much less need to chew although he enjoys a beef knuckle in the evening and a variety of toys with different textures. 

Ben is 8 months old!